Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I know I already mentioned this, but after adding Phosban and increasing flow my cyano problems all but went away. If you have the money to spend on some, I'd would definitley consider adding some of the Phosban or some rowaPhos or something similar.

I hope this method works as well for you as it did for me.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: Blue-Green Cyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaK
...Any advice would be great!
You've got several folks here offering advice, but lack of water parameters seem to be a sticking point. I have a feeling the numbers aren't posted because the tests haven't been done, because... well... like you said - you know you have a problem. But until the extent of the problem is known, you're just taking a shotgun to the problem hoping you hit something in the process.

If I'm wrong, then I apologize - but it just seems a lot easier to post simple nitrate/phosphate/pH numbers than argue why you shouldn't have to!

Oh... and I'm another one that hasn't had any issues with Marineland's Black Diamond AC. Good stuff - just change it out every couple weeks or so.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm not arguing, I just didn't appreciate being talked down to - being told that I dont understand.

For the sake of argument, though,
nitrates are 0
phosphates are 0

From my understanding, the cyano feeds off of the nitrates and phosphates so they would read zero unless the nitrates or phosphates were way out of control in which I would be seeing other problems.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
You were not being talked down to. It looked to me, and still does, that you do not understand the importance of giving real numbers. There is more to water chemistry than nitrates and phosphates that would affect your situation. What is the alk? The ph?

We can only help you in a limited fashion because you give us limited information to work with.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #25

Wow can't beleive you're a moderator...

Why don't you ask questions directly?
There are ways of being helpful w/o being condescending about it. You don't know me and you don't know what level of knowledge that I have about the hobby.

You could've brought up the ph/alk suggestion in your first response - I would have understood where you were coming from b/c I have been trying to raise my ph to battle this issue with my tank. I've been adding ca and buffer already.

If you reread my original post I wanted to know who's had experience with the blue-geen cyano. I've never dealt with it so I wanted to know if it was different in any way from the red slime.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
You insist on seeing insult where there is none..maybe someone else will be able to put the information to you in a manner you find more acceptable...good luck with your problem.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #27
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Why are you being upset with Lisa. She is one of the best we have on this site. She is only asking you to post certain numbers so we can find out what is going on. Without these numbers we are only guessing. I think Lisa is doing a great job to acommadate your wanting to know what is going on. No one is talking down to you but we have to have answers to help you out. I guess what I`m asking is help us to help you out. I hope you understand.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #28

I guess it's just a misunderstanding....
I just wish the questions were asked directly in the beginning instead I was told I was giving erroneous info that wan't useful.
Maybe I was, but from where I was coming from the specific numbers aren't necessary. My no3 and phosphates were 0 and I was already trying to raise my ph and alk. KWIM?
Misunderstandings happen on msg boards I just want you all to see where I'm coming from on this
Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I understand completely and tones are sometime hard to read when they are in writing.
How is the algae coming along?
One question, why are you raising your pH and alk?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #30

My ph ranges from 7.8 to 8.0. I know it should be higher. From what I've read, problem algae is less likely in a tank w/ higher ph.

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com