blueheaded parrotfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idol1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Went out on the reef last night for crabs and came across the sleeping place for the blueheaded parrotfish babys. Didn't have the right kind of net with me so I missed 5 of them. I am going to build a special net for them now. If I finish I will try again to night to catch 4 babies. I have a 55 QT tank set up for them. What a beautiful fish. 4 should make a nice school. Ill let you know how I make out.

I have an advantage. I can let the fish go if they don't adjust to the tank. I'm going to release my very lg. 3 year old Idol today at 4:30 high tide in a reserve area. Shes just to lg. for any of my tanks. I have a small idol in the 125.

I'm far from an expert in the laws, so I won't go over the regulations in Hawaii regarding such activity other than state that this is one of the heavier regulated areas in the US. This is something I wouldn't be involved with as I seem to remember simple net catching to require some type of permit or license.

I do have a license. My wife and all of my sons also. We can net or trap fish. Parrot fish as well as tangs are eaten over here. I caught one 4 in parrot last night. My wife caught one baby octopus the size of two 50cent pieces. Released my three year old Idol yesterday. A group of Idols came out of the rocks to see her. Then they were all just swimming around together. Getting ready to release 8 more fish that have outgrown there tanks. Still need to catch 2 more parrots. Since they like to school.

My 55 gal QT tank is filling. Caught 3 beautiful ornate wrasses,1 rainbow surge wrasse,1 Christmas wrasse. Still need 2 more parrot fish. I will release all the lg. fish in the 125 to get ready to put these fish in it after there QT period. I QT for 6 weeks min. I will go to the shallow reef tomorrow for brittle starfish,urchins ,stone crabs and hermits. They have a dual purpose. As a natural food and clean up.

Back
Top Bottom