Brain Coral Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the grim reefer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking a purchasing a brain coral and was just hoping I could get some advice on their care...I have read that they like to be on the sand....I have 250w MH 20k lighting so I am assuming that should be sufficient..

Anything particular with feeding? How often...

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

I have two of them and both are placed on the substrate. I have never fed mine in the few years that I have had them. IMO they get what they need from the water column and lighting. Here is mine so you can see placement.

Attachments

• 100_0174_165.jpg
    100_0174_165.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,976
  • 100_0169_121.jpg
    100_0169_121.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,734
Brains generally will not appreciate MH lighting very much. So keeping it on the sand bed is even more recommended. Acclimation to MH may be rough on it, depending on what it's currently kept under. I would highly recommend using the "screen acclimation" method for light acclimation, and possibly shortening the photoperiod as well at first. Here is a link w/ more info- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=37-
They put out feeding tentacles, usually at night. They do not require target feedings, but they will appreciate them(meaty foods). You'll probably see faster growth w/ occasional target feedings. Best not to over do it though.

Ive never target fed mine. If I were to start some sort of feeding what would you recommend? Once a month?

Would it be ok to put it under a shelf or overhang, somewhere I would not get direct light from the MHs? The reason I am asking, I am aquascaping and plan on building an overhang/shelf.

Marc118 said:
If I were to start some sort of feeding what would you recommend? Once a month?
Yes, once or twice a month would be plenty IMO. Be sure the pieces are appropriate size as well ~ 1/2 the size of a pinky fingernail, or smaller depending on the coral size.
Roka64 said:
Would it be ok to put it under a shelf or overhang, somewhere I would not get direct light from the MHs?
That is what I did at first. It worked very well until the brain out grew the spot. Now I have it in direct lighting and after some acclimation it's been doing fine for a few months now. The colors are not as vibrant as they where when it was shaded or under fluorescents though, but I have a relatively shallow tank w/ 10k 250's.

Well thanks for the tips...muchly appreciated...they are under MH lights right now and nice and full like Melosu's are...I will definately be careful with one when I pick one up..they are such beautiful colors..that is good to know about the target feeding because here I thought I might have to.

Thanks Again

Open brains like to be gently turkey basted to get rid of uneaten flake food or other garbage that might accumulate on them.

I agree with the other poster--they do not like metal halides---I lost a one that way

Tangster

Back
Top Bottom