Breeding Blk.& Wht. Clowns,what do I need to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gs2andrews

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:n00b: I would like to know if i need to take any action? And how long for they hach?
Will the newcomers be OK? They are on a puple tiped anemone-12"- I have 1 tang, 1 blk. cap basslet, 1 manadarin goby & 1 wrasse in a 150 gal.

:n00b: I would like to know if i need to take any action? And how long for they hach?
Will the newcomes be OK? They are on a puple tiped anemone-12"- I have 1 tang, 1 blk. cap basslet, 1 manadarin goby & 1 wrasse in a 150 gal.
u need to isolate them in their own tank, then feed them live baby brine or cyclopeez every day for the first 2 weeks. then alternate flake into the feedings. its a long hard process and dont expect to have any survivors until at least the first 5 if not 10 trys. not recomended. not saying that it cant be done or you wont be able to do it or anything but it aint easy.

Did they already lay the eggs? If so I would personally do nothing but just let them hatch and be eaten. Like Hockey said, raising clownfish fry is a very expensive and time consuming process and you wouldn't be able to get everything they need in time for hatching anyways.

The good news I guess is that if they've done it once there is a really good chance they'll do it again. If it is something you really want to do I would reccomend picking up a book such as Amazon.com: Clownfishes: Joyce D. Wilkerson: Books for detailed pictures and descriptions.

Best of luck.

Btw, I am moving your post out of the archive and into the general sw forum.

Thanks for your reply. I was not ready for this yet. They had not hached as of 10:00 pm. but @ 5:00am they were gone. not sure where? all the fishs were asleep at 10:00 . thanks again. gs2

They will hatch in 6-7 days. The eggs start out orange in color and gradually turn silver. After watching the eggs for a few spawns, you will be able to tell when they are going to hatch. They will hatch at night and swim towards any light you shine in the tank. As soon as it gets light out or light hits the tank, they are eaten by every and any fish in the tank. My clowns spawn about every 3 weeks like clock work.

That's why it's best to be prepared with a separate tank if you ever plan on breeding in the future.

Back
Top Bottom