Please yall I need your advice about what to do now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AprilDAWN25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I woke up to a tank full of dead fish I used algae fix about half of what they recommended but even with two water changes they all died now what do I do ? Do I need to break down my tank ? If I put more fish in there will they die too should I seriously scrub and boil my gravel? Will the algae fix ruin this tank forever?my tank is planted I just need to know what to do now ... I'm so broken hearted ? ?

Reviews on that product are mixed. The majority use it without issue and give good reviews whereas a small proportion of users report issues similar to what you have experienced. There will be some other factor involved as to why the fish died for you whereas other people have no problems with it. Maybe its reacting with something else in the tank, maybe it is having this effect on particular species and not others, maybe there is another cause completely not related to the product you used and its coincidence.

Knowing some more about the tank, water parameters (before all the water changes), how long its been set up, is it cycled, any other new products you used, what precisely you did with the product etc will help rule out any other cause.

Its just an algaecide, water changes should remove it just fine. Only real way to know is to get some more fish. If you want to be ultra cautious, break everything down, bleach treat what you can, replace what you cant.

So very sorry to hear about this loss in your tank.

The directions look to say 1ml per 10 gallons, how much did you use?

There are many, many reports of fish having respiratory distress and recovering, and also many saying they had distress and died. Even using half doses. Many were just fine and many died. It is a product I have stayed away from due to the scare I have read about. Though I accidently over dosed H2O2 and also lost fish, even with very quick and large water changes. But the BBA is seemingly gone. But I would have preferred to not have killed my fish.

So I have sympathy about wanting to be rid of algae and not getting the entire results you wanted.

I agree doing a test for the tank and water to see if all is well, after doing a few basically 100% pwc's.

You can purchase some feeder shrimp, aka Ghost shrimp for about .25 each. Then see how it goes, and all should be fine. I did this trial with a tank when I didn't know what had happened to a bunch of dwarf shrimp.

Upon putting the shrimp in a couple died. But the rest were troopers and ended up breeding like crazy for me. So they were most likely some type of grass shrimp.

I can't recall if there were more than 6, but they had no additional deaths after the first day. I would go and count them all.

As a side interest, can you check the water parameters and see what the levels are for the tank, and then again after all the pwc's have been done? Including pH.

Some people think that the initial dose causes a loss of O2 or possibly too much 02.

I wonder about if they checked the pH. A pH crash can cause fish to have similar appearance and many would die.

Back
Top Bottom