Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

breeding Tomato Clowns

My tomato clowns bred and (ate)? the eggs, or did they take them in the mouth to protect them from the tang that always eats them?

Any thoughts?

Old 08-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Nope, they ate em.
If it is their first couple times laying eggs, they will often eat the eggs up, as they are really just practicing. When they get one down that they like, they will leave it. If you are interested in raising them, start feeding them slightly smaller meals, but like 3-4 times a day. The fatter they are the more likely they are to have a good hatch, and healthy fry.
Put a regular ceramic tile in by them at night, very carefully, and if you don't freak them out, they will lay eggs on there and it will be easier to remove when the time comes, if you are interested in raising them.

If you are lemme know, I have been doing lots of research on raising clowns, I can help point you in the right direction.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Probably ate them. If they just started breeding it takes them a coulpe time to get the hang of things. The batch may not have been viable. They will eventually figure it out and defend them extreemly aggressivly. Against the tang and possibly you if you put your hands in there.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Beattt youuuu.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

oops not a good pair then

they are several years old and bred many times i need to remove the tang but i willhave to spear him to get him out lol never had a fry make it yet
Old 08-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

They can go on/off laying depending on how regularly you feed them, what you feed and so on. Each time they start they will need to go through the same warm up procedures. Have you tried raising the fry before? Did you leave them in the main tank or a separate?
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I would definitely plumb another tank to your system, if you can one for fry raising and one for a grow out. The trick is to not give them too much space too soon, or they stop acting like family and all stake out a spot to defend. A 10 gallon would be best for the fry, easy to clean and maintain. 20 would be good for grow out, depending on how many you get to hatch, and live. If you can only get one tank, do the 20 with a divider, and you can gradually give them more space depending on how many per hatch, and their size.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

wow they just laid a bazillian eggs just now while i was typing they are on the glass will they raise ok with out patental supervision? hate to attempt scraping then off just to try, but that tang is too agressive for the clowns
Old 08-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

haha no way! So you have 8-9 days now, assuming they don't eat them all again. To figure out what you want to do. Some people actually like to let them lay a couple hatches to get in the rhythm of things before trying to put a tile down or trying to take away the fry. Leave the eggs where they are for now, you will have to have a couple late nights next weekend waiting for them to hatch and collecting the fry.

I would start looking at a larvae catcher, or a DIY option (there are lots) to suit your needs.

Get some pics!
Super jealous, good luck!

EDIT: if you are interested in raising this batch, you are going to want to find some rotifiers ASAP, and you might want to look into fry/grow out foods like Otohime. They sell a starter kit that is enough to bring them all the way to adults.
http://www.reed-store.com/shop.cfm/O...eds/OTO-START/
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks for all this great feed back i will get them siphoned out when they hatch the clowns are fighting hard, will try and build a mouse trap for the tang and put him in the fuge tonight , he will like the buffet in there better!!!

Tags
breed, breeding, clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com