Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What gets me is I have LITTLE Phosphates. Just a trace amount, can hardley tell a color differance.
.03 meg/l is considered high. It does not take much PO4 at all to cause problems. What test are you using? My suggestion to you would be to eliminate the source of the PO4 first. Secondly do searches on this forum and others for cyano. Read as much as you possibly can. Cyano will not go away on it's own, it will only get worse if actions are not taken. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #12
zacdl

They arent even to .01 meg/l

Its a TRACE amount.

This shouldnt cause problems should it?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:42 PM   #13
zacdl

Would a UV help with Cyano?

From what I read I am doing everything right. I have carbon going, water circulation, cut down on light, etc.

Should I get more snails and hermits?
And would a UV kill cyano?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

What brand test kit? Yes, trace amounts of PO4 can cause problems when combined w/ other issues. UV will not help at this point.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #15
zacdl

From what I understood carbon is supposed to keep full outbreaks away. Ive had carbon in here from before I even had this outbreak.

Its a Red Sea one.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
2 Turbo Snails
So right now you only have 2 snails in a 30? You definitely need to step up your clean up crew. Getting more snails and hermits could only help, but they won't cure the cyano.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #17
zacdl

So what additional measures should I take to get rid of the cyano other than the cleanup crew?

How many snails/hermits do you think I could have in here? Right now I bet 100 would work, but after it goes away that will be too many
Old 07-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Its a Red Sea one
I would ditch that for a seachem or salifert test kit. When dealing w/ PO4 the amounts are so small you want a very good quality test kit. Carbon will not help w/ PO4 or the cyano at this point. Some quick advice from me would be to get about 15lbs more LR, up your flow a bit-maybe add another MJ 900, and step up your clean up crew. Adding a small serpent star is a good addition to any clean up crew, and get a better PO4 test kit. FWIW, snails generally don't eat cyano. A few hermits may but it won't amount to much.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:57 PM   #19
zacdl

You said carbon wont help at this point?

Well its been in there from day 1 when I started the aquarium, and fresh each month.

So it SHOULDVE worked?

A serpent star? IS that the same as a brittle star?
Dont they eat snails/hermits?

More LR wont fit in the tank, already tried (Besides it looks way too full with 15 more pounds)
Old 07-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So it SHOULDVE worked?
You need to read up on what GAC does and how it works . The circumstances that allow/promote cyano growth are fairly dynamic, so there is no easy cure. Read all the cyano posts you can, education is key here.
Quote:
A serpent star? IS that the same as a brittle star?
Yes. Just don't get a green brittle star. They are active predators.
Quote:
More LR wont fit in the tank
You must have very porous rock. I had no problems getting 45lbs fiji rock in my 29gal.

Tags
algea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com