BTA and clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
How long does it usually take for a clownfish to go to a bta?

Is it harder for tank-raised clowns to learn to host?

anyway to help it along? like maybe get a little intank container and put them together? would that help?

no, IMO, that would be a very bad idea. You would upset/stress them both.

All depends on the Clowns. So do and some don't like BTAs. Some hosts powerheads and others find a cave and live out of it. You just never know with clowns. They are pretty resourceful and choose what they want.

It looks like my BTA likes to be smashed in between two rocks. I set it down in a hole near the middle/top of the tank and it moved to the side and wedged itself in between the rocks and I couldn't see it sincce it was in the back of the tank. so I moved it to a place in front where three rocks meet and it seems to like being wedged in there. I wonder if it will stay there. Can I feed it like frozen shrimp that are thawed out and chopped up?

Don't "manually" move ur BTA. It will stress ur anemone. ur also risking a chance of ripping its foot. Any small/tiny damage on its foot will result in death in an aquarium. IME, anemones will move wherever the current and light are most favorable to them. By strategicly changing the currents in ur tank, u can make the BTA move (on its own) to the spots that u want.

Yes you can feed it with bits of SW shrimps. Don't feed it too often or u'll stress it out. Twice a week is reasonable. HTH

Well I just looked at it this morning. Before I turned the lights on it was folded over so you couldn't see it's mouth since the current is strong there. Then basically immediately after I turned the lights on it opened itself completely. It is almost vertical, basically on a flat piece of rock. It looks like it is doing ok. It will catch any food floating around right?, so I don't need to directly feed it do I?

My bta looks like yours FishFrik except there are less tentacles around the mouth. They are basically all around the edges, with their bubbles. The mouth has little creamy white/green lines pointing outwards from it. It looks pretty cool. I'll probably have a picture by next week.

addition-

ah I found out that the clownfish has to come into contact with the anenome a couple times to build up its slime coat so it can be in the anenome without being stun. So you can't force it to host because it will be stung to death if you do.

Back
Top Bottom