Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-11-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bubble Tip Anemone Problem...

I was feeding my fish and anemone this evening some shrimp. After feeding, I poured in B-Ionic 1 (cloudy stuff). As I waited for it to mix in, the anemone shrunk all the way into the live rock as fast as it could. It has been over 30 min and it still has not emerged. It has never done this before. Should I be concerned???

Also, I was told this is a Bubble tip Anemone, but I rarely see bubbles, just mostly long strands. It has itself stuck in a cave in the live rock. I attached a pic. Does it look okay?

Still new to this. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4080.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	13464  

jwsmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

When adding chemicals to the tank you should always add them to an area of high flow to disperse them quickly. The anemone probably got a taste of some highly concentrated water and reacted by withdrawing. It should be fine and be back to normal in a day or two.

As for the tips, they look fine in that photo. From fishlore.com....
"There is much debate and speculation as to why these tips form. Some think that very high lighting levels are required or even that more actinics are required in the lighting scheme and other hobbyists feel that frequent and varied feedings are required. Whatever the reasoning for these bulbs forming, for long term success with this anemone you'll need to provide high output lighting such as VHO, HO or Metal Halides"

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I agree with Cmor. The part 1 is the alk and the cloud you see is the carbonate percipitating out of solution, and as you probably have noticed, it does redissolve. It is very high in pH and as Cmor also said, should be dumped in a high flow area such as right in front of a powerhead. The anemone may have got a shot of the high pH and just retracted. It should be fine.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

anemone, bubble, bubble tip, bubble tip anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com