Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #1431
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
ph is tricky stuff, higher at night, because the co2 is down. I should have minored in chemistry to figure it all out

Old 10-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #1432
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
ph is tricky stuff, higher at night, because the co2 is down. I should have minored in chemistry to figure it all out
Ya LOL me too, to bad I barely passed Biology in 10th grade, they say you wish you had and you will use it, well I didn't believe. chuckle, jokes on me now.

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, well I say you can....it just might take a tad bit longer to undo what has been done to redo what was never been done to do what needs to be done.

lol

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #1433
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Imo I would do everything possible to remedy the ph without using chems... atleast at this point. The issue I have with using chems to alter ones ph is that there's a decent chance it could simply d-stabilize the ph even more. There's also a bit of outside mitigating factors in what determines your ph... surface agitation for one, but not only that but also gas exchange as well. I do know kh is one of the ingredients in determining buffer capabilities.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #1434
Aquarium Advice Addict

you're right with the cat and mouse thing though, im not an expert by any means, but the way i understand raising your ph lowers mag and cal. bringing those levels back up lowers the ph. you can get tehm all in the acceptable range, but there is some back and forth to get it.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #1435
Aquarium Advice Addict

I raised my powerheads a little and had turned the emperor 400 back on and the pH is now 8.1 and bumping 8.2.

I also pointed the powerhead on the ro/di water toward the surface more and it's coming up too.

So now just a tad bit more waiting game for them to stabilize and I can do the pwc.

I didn't want to do pwc with such a difference in pH.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 10-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #1436
Aquarium Advice Addict

Orange Polyps gone?

Over the last week my orange polyps had been getting smaller and smaller. They were still opening and I thought they were gonna start growing. Well today I got up and they were gone. I can't find a single polyp anywere on the branch they came on. Are they gone gone? What do I look for to see if any are gonna come out of that branch?

The elegance's tentacles are not as long as they have been either. I saw my fire shrimp poking at him the other day and the elegance kinda shrunk back a little and the fire shrimp scurried past to his cave. I thought he was just telling him to move i want to pass. The fire shrimp hasn't done it again from what I can tell.

3 other corals are doing great. As well as all the cuc and the fish which are still in quarantine. They have been in qt for a tad over 3 weeks. I may move them to dt mid week but not sure yet. If i don't they won't be moved til 2 weeks from now as my work sked doesn't give me enough time off to accclimate them. That weekend I would have 3 days off to move them instead of trying to do it in my 24 hour quick turnover.

So basically any input on my orange polyps would be awesome. Thanks everyone, again you guys always seem to come to the rescue.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #1437
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i think those orange polyps are history. if you saw a shrimp near the tentacles of the elegance, i would imagine he smells a meal coming.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #1438
Aquarium Advice Addict

how many polyps did you have? cuz i believe fire shrimp are known to eat them at times.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #1439
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i've never seen fire shrimp eat any healthy corals. i doubt they had anything to do with it.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #1440
Aquarium Advice Addict

in the pocket expert guide Marine invertebrates by ronald shimek, it says under aquarium suitability/reef compatibility for firre shrimp: Nocturnal, reclusive, often not visible. Some may eat only polyps, such as soft corals, zoanthids, and stony corals.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com