Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm was hoping it would have eaten some of that ammonia up. Youre supposed to give it 24 hours though so maybe by tonight it will mostly be gone. :-D

I'd be worried about the one that has a light out. If it's in unused condition theres no explanation for that.

its a used fixture and mostlikly just a lamp if the one bulb works and the other is still on.

the 4 lamp is enough for LPS and what not but not enough for high light SPS and clams unless they are in the top shelf of your system. i'd look for a 6 lamp as you will light just as well as the MH fixture with alot less wattage and power saving

http://cgi.ebay.ca/HYDROFARM-FLP46-...659?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519a06e35b

brand new, its a good fixture, all you need to do is replace the lamps with some quality tubes liek g mann, ATI or KZ

Last edited:
its a used fixture and mostlikly just a lamp if the one bulb works and the other is still on.

the 4 lamp is enough for LPS and what not but not enough for high light SPS and clams unless they are in the top shelf of your system. i'd look for a 6 lamp as you will light just as well as the MH fixture with alot less wattage and power saving

T5 Fluorescent Grow Light 6 Lamp Fixture Bulbs Veg 48" | eBay

brand new, its a good fixture, all you need to do is replace the lamps with some quality tubes liek g mann, ATI or KZ

The "used" fixture says it's in original box and appears in "Unused" condition. If it was a straight out used fixture from someone who says they have used it I would lean towards just the bulb being out. Better safe than sorry. :)

From what I read, and from the questions that were already asked of the seller, the seller did say the fixture is fine and it's just the bulb and he/she rotated the bulbs to be sure it wasn't the fixture.

Gti_Leo, I looked at the link you posted, I would rather have built-in cooling. I've been mostly looking at 6 lamp as I said before I'd rather buy once. I don't really want a MH due to heat but saw the prices of these so wasn't sure if they are worth it.

I basically have 3 choices that I keep tossing around. Give me a sec (or two) and I'll link them in the next post so you guys can give me pros and cons of each, as I'm really looking to your support on this purchase.

150watt halieds do nothing, i'd scratch that off the list, the novas are a good fixture just has mehish lamps

you don't need the built in cooling for T5s, and if you want them, the fans are like $10

That would have to be mounted on tank correct? I didn't want to add heat. My temp is set at 79 and the thing is 82-84, I can't cool it. No lights are on. I don't want to turn my air conditioner on because I want outside air in summer since this place is closed up in winter.

For some reason, I also figure if I get a combo light now then I won't have to "upgrade" later. I'm not a diy so I honestly don't think I can build a light. I have seen the hangers (that look like plant hangers), I like that idea better than wall brackets. If I have to I can drill into the ceiling, I just thought it would look icky with metal wire coming down from ceiling.

150watt halieds do nothing, i'd scratch that off the list, the novas are a good fixture just has mehish lamps

halides don't do anything? why? i keep reading it's better for corals and such.

I like the novas alot too, what is mehish lamps?

Thanks Carey, I'm still leaning toward the Current Nova too, but I run across these others with this light and that light for my corals and stuff and I get confused. As I said I don't want to pay 300-400 now and then later pay 500-700 because I have to "upgrade", which I still don't even know if that is actually upgrading or not lol. But I know I'm close to buying something so I want to get the right light.

Thanks everyone for helping and being patient with me :banghead:

hailides are old school reefing, you will get the old school reefers tellign you they penetrate better and grow corals better, when the actual truth is T5s are just as powerful and actually grow SPS better then halides. SPS require more light spectrum that florescents produce more of, i sent you a link where there was a comparison done with growing corals under a 6 lamp T5 and under 2 x 250 watt halides and they grew the same where as the T5s grew the SPS slightly better, and they didn't reach towards they light source they branched out liek they are intended to.

a T5 lamp can penetrate to 30" which is 400watt MH territory some might even go 1000watt, all you'd need is to use quality lamps and icecapp ballasts that will over drive a 54 watt lamp to 80 watts. running the standard t5s you can penetrate to 30" but could only grow low light mushrooms at the bottom.

as far as the 150watt halide, they don't penetrate the water well and shouldn't be used on anythign deeper then a standard 20g

The eBay listing went from 2 bids to 14 and from 202.00 to 260.00 LOL I just double checked it is a 4 bulb only. He answered my question about bulb replacements, and he replied.."Coralife, Aqueon and all-glass are the ones we have in stock that work well. I am sure it is a universal 2 pin T5 design".

hailides are old school reefing, you will get the old school reefers tellign you they penetrate better and grow corals better, when the actual truth is T5s are just as powerful and actually grow SPS better then halides. SPS require more light spectrum that florescents produce more of, i sent you a link where there was a comparison done with growing corals under a 6 lamp T5 and under 2 x 250 watt halides and they grew the same where as the T5s grew the SPS slightly better, and they didn't reach towards they light source they branched out liek they are intended to.

a T5 lamp can penetrate to 30" which is 400watt MH territory some might even go 1000watt, all you'd need is to use quality lamps and icecapp ballasts that will over drive a 54 watt lamp to 80 watts. running the standard t5s you can penetrate to 30" but could only grow low light mushrooms at the bottom.

as far as the 150watt halide, they don't penetrate the water well and shouldn't be used on anythign deeper then a standard 20g

Thanks for the info, it explained alot. However, How do you know if something has icecapp ballasts? I just read the manual and stuff at Current USA's site and it doesn't say icecapp ballast. It says "highly efficient electronic ballast".

the bids when up that fast because peopel set their max bid and someone else probably did also so there is a fight for the fixture. i usually only purchase from ebay when its a buy now thing, i don't want to go throug hthe hassle of bidding for things lol

I don't do the bidding thing either. If I decide on something, the few times that I have, I put in max amount and done. If I'm beat then no prob.

Thanks for the info, it explained alot. However, How do you know if something has icecapp ballasts? I just read the manual and stuff at Current USA's site and it doesn't say icecapp ballast. It says "highly efficient electronic ballast".

icecap is a a brand of fixtures, you can also buy the ballasts as a replacement but they only come on their own brand of fixtures.

i think with fulham workhorse ballasts you can over drive pretty easily since they are a universal replacement like the icecaps are

http://www.icecapinc.com/430-fluorescent-lamp-electronic-ballast-2

they are expensive but they do the job and they are dimmable from what i've read

I agree ion the MH fixture, if you wanted to go that route I would think a dual 250w would be the way to go. BUT you might have temperature issues which could require a chiller and they are more than the lights.

I'd stick with the T5's. I'm gonna see what else I can find for you, I'm pretty good at research. :)

The bulbs that come with the Nova extreme are just standard bulbs, nothing special, And they have legs so you wouldnt have to mount it on a wall or hang it. I'm a tad biased since I have one and I'm pleased with it.

Back
Top Bottom