Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #371
Aquarium Advice Addict

So now I made it to these:

Nova Extreme Pro T-5 by Current USA
I believe has everything included.
Light - 379.99
Approximate Total 379.99

or

Sunlight Supply TEK Light T5 Fixture - English
I believe I would need to buy bulbs, splash guard and possible hanging or leg kit.
Light - 314.00
Bulbs 150.00
Splash Guard--cant find on their site.
hanging - 30.00
legs - 65.00
Approximate Total = 559.00

or

IceCap Reef Illuminations6 x T5 & LED Combo Aquarium Lght Fixture - AquaCave
I believe I would need to buy bulbs.
Light - 398.95
Bulbs - 150.00
Approximate Total = 548.95

I'm thinking that since I like the Current and I definitely like the price better and it's "plug n play" and I don't have to order more stuff for it, well this might be the one I get. Just having a tough time making a final decision and taking the big big big step of ordering.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #372
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Personally, I like the price and function of the nova extreme. The teks are really nice but after you add on all the extras it gets kinda pricey.

The stock bulbs with the nova aren't spectacular BUT by the time you will require some super light it will be time to replace the bulbs anyways. lol I think it's recommended to change them out every 9 months. So by the time youre ready for fish, then start corals then start exotics you will be a few months in.

Just my lil ole opinion though. If I had money to burn I'd probably get the teks and some hi end bulbs, probably anyways, but if youre looking for reasonable price and competent equipment I think the Nova has the edge.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #373
Aquarium Advice Addict

Right now, I need reasonable price and competent equipment. I still need to get other things too. So I'm probably gonna go for the Current, plus it has some "style" to it also. Do your tanks have the black lip like mine?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 07-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #374
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, it doesnt mount like that other fixture on the back of the tank, just regular legs on the sides. If you want a picture I can snap one for you on how it sits...
Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #375
Aquarium Advice Addict

if thats what your choice comes down to then i say the nova is the better buy, but the icecap is the best one for sure
Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #376
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was bored so I took the pictures LOL. Hope you can see how it attaches.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #377
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Buffy!!!! Tanks looking great! I went back and re-read the first 5 pages and must say its come a long way in terms of lighting choice, don't really thank any of the three are bad, just a choice of how good ya wanna go
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #378
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
if thats what your choice comes down to then i say the nova is the better buy, but the icecap is the best one for sure

Yeah, I think the ice cap is better too but I can't afford that much. Thank you for all your help.

Thanks Carey, pictures helped, no screws, so it just sets on there like it shows in the ad.

Huma-Huma, thanks, I wanted to go with the best I could but money has alot to do with it.

I'll probably be ordering the Current USA Nova this week. Gotta go to bank first lol.

Now gotta go to garage, clean it up and figure out how I'm gonna do the sump w/refugium. Brain is dead so may just get some cleaning/organizing done but it is so hot and muggy. 3:30 in the afternoon, sunny and here I am.....in the house.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #379
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey I'm pretty sure for the majority of us, money plays a big factor in our purchases still not a bad choice at all in terms of lighting
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #380
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You can buy LEDs for this price and they won't heat the water and will last for years to come. Metal halide and florescent technology are both old school. Not to insult anyone that loves florescent lighting...130 watt (130 1 watt LEDs) panel that is pretty equivalent to what you are looking at is $200-250 dollars, complete. Puts out almost 400 watts of equivalent light for 1/3 the energy. They come in a fan driven enclosure that can be hung or built into a hood. The new pendant LED lights are also very cost effective. Remember, you will be replacing bulbs even with fluorescents much more often than the LEDs. And more important, your tank is pretty hot already. Cheaper to use LEDS than buy a chiller. Just my two cents.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com