Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just randomly " drop" the rocks Ono might rig a small thing or two but fir the most part it's just dropped into place and rotated to lock in

I put my emperor 400 back in, I saw someone converted it to diy refugium.

So I need to go to store and buy some filter floss. What kind?

Also do I put it in one side of the emperor 400 and rubble in the other side? Or do it put it in both sides and rubble on top?

Also what do I buy to start the pods growing for when I get a mandarin and where do I put it?

The floss can be whatever is cheapest. I buy it in sheets.
Pods need places to hold onto, so a small rubble pile of rock will do fine. Not much current needed.
In my 300 system, again, 18 years old, I was over run by Pods, which my new Mandarin ate in about 60 days. I ran out, didn't get enough to grow fast enough and the Mandarin starved. That was in a big system. My LFS has no live food, so I was hosed. Should have ordered mail order in retrospect. IF I ever get another, I will spring for the tank raised version that will eat frozen foods. Again, I love them too, but they are not easy to keep. At least for me. Get a lawn mower benny...they are hideous but need love too.

I have an ORA mandarin and she's not eating as much as she should be. :-( Some frozen food but not much. So it's no guarantee with the tank raised ones either. I will probably end up moving her to my 125g soon to make sure she doesnt starve.

One day this problem will be solved and all our Mandarins will be fat. But I have done a lot of research on the forums and those that have them over a year are either doing extraordinary things to feed them, or are just lucky.

Thanks, I still hope to have one some day but not til I think I can handle it. I was thinking a scooter blemy at some point.

I like my digital thermostat. No more struggle to read temp. It's at 80.4 right now. Turned the air conditioning on too.

Gregcoyote said:
The floss can be whatever is cheapest. I buy it in sheets.
Pods need places to hold onto, so a small rubble pile of rock will do fine. Not much current needed.
In my 300 system, again, 18 years old, I was over run by Pods, which my new Mandarin ate in about 60 days. I ran out, didn't get enough to grow fast enough and the Mandarin starved. That was in a big system. My LFS has no live food, so I was hosed. Should have ordered mail order in retrospect. IF I ever get another, I will spring for the tank raised version that will eat frozen foods. Again, I love them too, but they are not easy to keep. At least for me. Get a lawn mower benny...they are hideous but need love too.

lol I'm loving my lawnmower cuz he is always eating algae off of the rocks.

Well I have a roofing contractor coming in a few hours and got alot to do, then back to the rock and armpit washing.

@Carey - you're 5'2, hehehe I'm 5'1.

Anyone know how casts and saltwater get along together?

Buffy said:
Well I have a roofing contractor coming in a few hours and got alot to do, then back to the rock and armpit washing.

@Carey - you're 5'2, hehehe I'm 5'1.

Anyone know how casts and saltwater get along together?

Haha I got so many short jokes(l mother is 5'3 and older sister is 5'1 ( at least that what she put on her drivers license) she's really 4'11.. .. I call her all the time for phone numbers... I may be alittle jelious don't get me wrong... I wish I could swim in my tank too.

Im going to apologize now for the short jokes I feel a special pm coming..

Im going to apologize now for the short jokes I feel a special pm coming..

You're fine.

I'm so short, I'm almost used to being walked on. (not directed at you).

Think I'll go outside and pull some weeds and put them in my tank and call it planted 75 gal.

lol i could see it now in your sig...

75gal Nova Extreme Pro,6x54 Watt 3x10K;3x460nm Actinic; Fluval 405; 2x evolution 750gph;pulled weed planted

huma-huma said:
lol i could see it now in your sig...

75gal Nova Extreme Pro,6x54 Watt 3x10K;3x460nm Actinic; Fluval 405; 2x evolution 750gph;pulled weed planted

Lol... that was great..

Aiptasia

I've read up on Aiptasia, looked at pictures so I can recognize it when I see it. This doesn't look like that but one of my live rocks has real small trees/plants. Can't tell the color. Kinda hard to describe. Comes up and branches (small branches) and the branches look kind of soft or feathery. They sway with the flow. This probably doesn't make any sense. But the one rock has about 8 or 9 of them. Too small to get a picture, I think.

Any ideas?

Buffy said:
I've read up on Aiptasia, looked at pictures so I can recognize it when I see it. This doesn't look like that but one of my live rocks has real small trees/plants. Can't tell the color. Kinda hard to describe. Comes up and branches (small branches) and the branches look kind of soft or feathery. They sway with the flow. This probably doesn't make any sense. But the one rock has about 8 or 9 of them. Too small to get a picture, I think.

Any ideas?

Small feather sisters?

Back
Top Bottom