Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am in here very late but check out www.bulkreefsupply.com they have the clear netting for a top. just go to home depot and get the screen stuff for the edges. works great. I have been using it for a year.

Thanks. I found the thread I was looking for. I believe it's what you are talking about too. I wanted the pictures of it again lol.

Buffy said:
The glass tops I have, had a removable plastic piece on the backside so that you can have hob's and such. So where there is not a hob or anything leaves room for fishie to jumpie still.

I'll figure something out, for now I'm using the glass since I don't have fish jumping.

@Gregcoyote - Thanks, I saw something someone made out of eggcrate and pvc leaving the center open here on the forums. I'm gonna try to find that again.

Cut the plastic ..that's what I did.

Thanks. I found the thread I was looking for. I believe it's what you are talking about too. I wanted the pictures of it again lol.

I just got a batch of the stuff yesterday and will be building the netting over the next day or so and then will post up pictures in my thread asking about options for covers.

Now that I got that part (tank cover) in this thread and I can go back to it, Can someone go back a few posts and give your thoughts on the poly filter post?

Thanks

Buffy i put big hand fulls of the poly-fill in my E- 400 i pull it out and rinse it in the PWC water and put it back only time i toss it it when it starts to fall apart. As for the Can. i dont use them so hopefully some one who does will chime in :)

I'm not sure of everyone else but in my 405 when running FW I would put the coarse material in first to get out the large pieces, then I would put in my fine filter material, then I would have bio media (in my case ceramic rings).

You want the biomedia to have the cleanest water, so ywp, like stated above use filter floss or pads before the biomedia.

Hope that makes sense lol

I think she's wondering in whixh way they get organized.. like my hob the water flows though sponge carbon I then the stone..

Can you use polyfill instead of the sponge in a hob? What's possible benefits of using the polyfill instead of sponge?

Thats all i have in my HOB's i save the plastic trays for carbon the poly lasts for ever i just rinse it in my WC water and then put it back in the hob a giant bag cost me $3 My 1st bag last 3 yrs.

Grizz said:
Thats all i have in my HOB's i save the plastic trays for carbon the poly lasts for ever i just rinse it in my WC water and then put it back in the hob a giant bag cost me $3 My 1st bag last 3 yrs.

I feel new all over again...so let me get this right all u run os the polyfill no carbon or biomedia? Do u run a skimmer

No no skimmer just 80 lbs LR 4in. dsb and 20% PWC's weekly I run the carbon for one week every 5 weeks My TrAtes hover around 5.ppm Fish, Potters angel, false perc Clown, YWG, gramma and a blue crugemon Goby (*SP) 90g
**edit** also a bit of cyano showed up 2 days ago Dont let the Mrs feed your fish :)

Ok, not gonna quote everyone. Thanks for all the answers.

@jsmith, No apologies needed, you didn't highjack, I appreciate your questions here to as I and everyone else can learn from the answers everyone posts. To me this is a learning thread, a come back to for reference thread.......and yes......if you want to socialize and joke it's okay with me.....moderators on the other hand IDK about lol. So don't hesitate to jump on it, even with off wall stuff. yes -you were correct, wondering what order what goes where.

Grizz, 400-do you just fill the two sides? Do you use any rubble in there? Do you put the fill in the media trays or toss in?

Also in 400 do I also put rubble rock?

Canister---yes wondering the order. Right now there are two plastic held strips of rough filter. then 2 trays of carbon (separated into 2 making 4 compartments) and 2 trays of bio something (ceramic circles) (again separated into 2 making 4 compartments).

1. Do I leave the rough filter there?
2. Do I replace carbon with polyfill and if so do I do all 4 compartments?
3. Same with bio, do I replace bio with polyfill and if so do I do all 4 compartments?
4. Last but not least---where do I put rubble rock...Which compartment?

I read everyones post but hoped these questions would make it more explanitory. If you tell me before bio stuff, uhm how much and where's before? Take out the filter take out the carbon. IDK, sorry. I just want to be clear on where it all goes and want to understand why what goes where, so later if I make changes I don't need to ask woohoo, when will the time come when I won't need to ask?

Back
Top Bottom