Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shim who? lol. i'm saying they won't bother anything. i've only had access to 30 or so of them at different times, but none of them ever bothered with any coral or showed any aggression. ask anyone who's kept them on this forum.
i think it's the camelback shrimp that's getting confused here.

My fire shrimp is a recluse and isn't seen for months at a time. Haven't caught him doing anything bad, but I have a big coral banded that always looks guilty.

My fire shrimp stays in his hide out most of the time but comes out at feedings. He has never touched anything that I know of. Of course it has only been a few months but........

I'm not saying that they all decimate corals, but she has seen the shrimp bothering her corals, now they're gone... if some have been known to do it I think I would watch it a bit closer is all

I saw him poking only at the elegance once. I had 7 orange polyps on the branch. I've never seen anything by it other than a snail or two but they weren't by the polyps they were on the opposite end, then crawled off.

It doesn't matter, it's gone and nothing I can do to bring it back. Talk about expensive hobby, 2 loses at 85.00. Ouch

Still got more to do being adding anything else. So I'll just wait and see if I can keep alive what I have LOL.

mr_X said:
i think the elegance failed, because it's very common for them to, and the shrimp smelled a free meal.

I totally agree. The elegance is not a really hard coral to keep, but it does require some care and a well established tank. It got sick and the shrimp did his job of trying to clean up.

This is why we preach going painfully slow. It is expensive and depressing to kill off your favorite creatures. As your tank matures and you gain knowledge, it gets easier.

Most of those tank setups you see being sold cheap on Craig's List are not there because the people are moving...they are ditching the hobby because they can't dedicate themselves to the process that allows you to keep these animals for long periods of time. A reef is a constant maintenance item and many cannot or will not spend the time needed.

But in the end it is worth it.

Direct quote from Liveaquaria...

"The Catalaphyllia Elegance Coral is moderate to maintain in the reef aquarium and makes an excellent choice for the beginner to expert hobbyist."

Shows why the forum has value....

I have had mixed results with them, although I may have had a "Aussie" type. I googled "Aussie elegance coral" and there is a wealth of info on them.

all i'm saying is - times are tough. the economy is crap. that statement goes against everything i've learned in my short time buying and selling and keeping.

the aussie ones will be small and you will be able to notice the skeleton has been cut. it's been fragged from a large one. also, they are less colorful than the indo ones. there's that..and the price tag, of course.

I am agreeing with you. The interesting thing I noted in looking at Aussie elegance is their resistance to disease, but they have to travel sooo far.
Is anyone cultivating them domestically?

I had an elegance for over 2 years...but then eventually it started to fail. Not very long life for a coral.

i would not want to frag something like that. think of a wall hammer or a bubble coral. they totally freak me out when fragging. i guess it's just like all the rest but i don't like cutting through what i can't see.
that's the reason i think. i'm going to import some aussie stuff after the new year and then we'll see what's what. back to buffy's tank!

Update....long, eyes may need rest :)

Don't worry bout the chit chat. I'm still learning you know :). I don't think my elegance is a goner though Mr. X. Least not from the shrimp. It (the elegance) still appears to be doing well. I may move it over a little bit or turn it some tonite as I think the tentacles are a little to close to the rock.

So far all my "live stock", I've gotten from Drs. Foster & Smith, before I realized it was kinda separate from Diver's Den and Live Aquaria.

I read I should be feeding it though?

My coco worm is doing good, but he confuses me. He looks to be well, but at the moment he's not expanded as has been. I think he's moody like me hehehe cause Doesn't matter lights on or off, he expands when he wants to. He will expand completely when in the dark or light. Right now he's about half of his full expansion. Any given time he will expand fully. Most of the time he is out and expanded. He does scoot back in pretty dang fast if you accidently drop the lid down:eek:. Now my daughter (27 years old) has to struggle not to raise and drop the lid on purpose LOL.

Favia Brain and Encrusted Horn also appear well, however the Encrusted Horn has something growing on it's "underside". My first thought was bubble algae the way it was "puffed and round", but last night when lights were out, the 2 "bubbles" look more like 2 snails on top of each, with magnifiying glass kinda resembles a tube/fan worm or something.

I gotta get my light hung. I have a clip from a heater that fell in behind the rock and I can't reach and my "floating" magnet is stuck back there too. Guess I cleaned to close to the rocks LOL.

I can't take my lights off and put them back on the tank anymore because one of the legs plastic lip decided to crack and doesn't support that particular corner very well anymore (sags in on the leg now) and am afraid it's gonna crack and the lights come down on tank.

Phosphate reactor is unplugged til I can get the lights off. It's stopped working about a week after I got it. The valve is wide open and the gfo does not tumble at all.

Have a new phone, gotta set it up with laptop before I can take pics. Gonna try in a few. Regular camera is poo.

Crap, is long again. Maybe I should try to get on computer more often.

no need to worry about not getting on here more often... you have fish to take care of!

LOL, I have a lot more than that.

I finally got my lag screw in the ceiling....WOOHOO!!!!!!! Now if I can only figure out the plans I had for my light when I bought the stuff. I knew I should have drawn a picture.

All these pieces and I gotta sort it out like a puzzle since I don't remember how I was going to do this.

Back
Top Bottom