Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buffy,

Your thread cracks me up!! The pix look great, and I have serious firefish envy :oops: Also, so sorry to hear that your shrimp died :(

Buffy,

Your thread cracks me up!! The pix look great, and I have serious firefish envy :oops: Also, so sorry to hear that your shrimp died :(

Well I am glad someone is smiling LMAO.

@Carey, yep I have photobucket but I keep forgetting LOL. Must be that old age crap going on again.

Thanks about the Fire Fish. I love that little guy. He has been the number 1 fish on my list to get ever since I started, and he was THE FIRST one bought also.

I've read that bugger is supposed to be shy and timid..NOTTTTTTT, he and I still have staring contests. (He blinks first though hehehe). The shell in the back of the tank is where he hitched his ride this time. I didn't freak out when I was done emptying the container and he wasn't there in the bottom this time. Few minutes and there he was, creeping out the shell LMAO. Then swimming like crazy.

Last night while I was putting the frags in the tank, do you think he hid???? NOPE I could have sworn if I had food in my hand he would have taken it out of my hand.

Coco Worm doesn't hide when I come up to the glass as much anymore either, he stays out and struts his left overs LOL.

Oh yes we call him The Streak:dance:....Fastest thing on two :dance:uhmmmmm 1 shell:whistle:LMAO

Lot of cutting and drilling and appointments. Been pretty busy. Getting ready to put the sand back in the 75 in the next day or so :)

Elegance Coral Demise

I am sorry to report that my Elegance Coral is dying. There appears to be nothing that can be done to save it. After alot of research it appears to have ECS. My only question now is if I should remove it from the tank or let nature run its course? After some research, it appears this was inevitable.

Sorry to hear that. Alot of elegance corals dont make it in the long run. It seems the australian ones are a bit hardier.

That is sad...I lost a few years ago before the information was broadly known about them. You are very persistent, so you will get to a place where this all is simpler. But do try to only have organisms at this early stage that give you the best possible outcome. It is easy to follow your eye and heart when wanting something to keep in your system...but this often comes with a high price..the frustration of not being able to keep your investment alive and happy. The "learner" fish and corals all have their interesting looks and characteristics and come with the huge bonus of building your confidence. Just IMO...keep up the good work.

Hinesight LOL. I didn't research enough before getting it. I was hoping that after I realized which one I had that it wouldn't happen. But it is. Yet it's not only costly when you lose something due to the high cost of this hobby, but it's the fact that it's a life gone and that maybe that life wouldn't have died if I hadn't have brought it into my aquarium. So now, that's the icky worms in the beginning, a turbo snail, an emerald crab, an orange polyps, a fire shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, a cardinal, a red star fish, an encrusted horn - though he's back not as bright as he was, a coco worm injured, all leads me to think I'm in the wrong hobby. :-( Life still goes on and sucks at the same time.

Buffy said:
Hinesight LOL. I didn't research enough before getting it. I was hoping that after I realized which one I had that it wouldn't happen. But it is. Yet it's not only costly when you lose something due to the high cost of this hobby, but it's the fact that it's a life gone and that maybe that life wouldn't have died if I hadn't have brought it into my aquarium. So now, that's the icky worms in the beginning, a turbo snail, an emerald crab, an orange polyps, a fire shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, a cardinal, a red star fish, an encrusted horn - though he's back not as bright as he was, a coco worm injured, all leads me to think I'm in the wrong hobby. :-( Life still goes on and sucks at the same time.

It was the guys that collected it that sent it on its way...you just tried to save it. I had some total losses when I started and I actually gave up for a number of years (I am an old coot). The LFS (which I used to be) make it look easy. And in some regards it is. But don't take it too hard. You have some neat stuff and there will be a point when it all goes right. I won't compare notes as to how much life can suck, my story isn't very attractive. But I have always taken comfort by this hobby as it has been a great distraction.

Buffy, I wouldnt beat yourself up about it. Almost every person on this site has lost a fish here and there. It happens. And whats sad is it usually isn't our fault, it's the catching and treatment these fish have to endure before they even get to us. Luckily , the majority of the time we do good and a life is saved and cherished. :) You've been doing this for almost a year now, it's not like you just threw a bunch of stuff in your tank and said here we go. LOL I've had several fish not make it and three or so corals that I couldnt keep alive. We all know how you feel. Just keep plugging away....I know you got it in ya!

You should see what I have killed in freshwater, and mine weren't like yours at all. I didn't know the stuff i know now and I wasn't willing to research. You tried to save them, did research, and it didn't go as planned. You have had a lot go the wrong direction, it will turn around. I'm sure :)

Hey Buffster ,...,..most of us here have probably killed more things than we'll admit too,....me included,..you get your stuff and try your best and hope that somehow you've done everything right and everything works out,... If it doesn't then you've learned a very valuable lesson that you can pass down to others,...don't make us send Guido and the boys over to pull your aquarium license away cuz it'll be messy.
As the old saying goes ,..try not to get too excited about the highs and try not to get too discouraged by the lows.

Oh, Buffy. I'm so sorry :( You are a great reefer, please don't get discouraged!! If it makes you any happier, I can give you my 007 toll: 3 emerald crabs (yes, 3!!), bi-colored dwarf angelfish, cleanershrimp, snails, 1 zoa, and 1 duncan frag... some were w/out my help, others were due to my ignorance :nono: However, I'm not discouraged, and I know that I won't make the same mistakes again :D

Small upwith with 1 pic

Thanks guys, I've been told I'm my own worst enemy, course I've been told I'm alot of things LOL.

"As the old saying goes ,..try not to get too excited about the highs and try not to get too discouraged by the lows."

@Dary - That must be an old saying, cause I'm old and I ain't never heard it before.

So short update:

Everyone still in the 20G doing good.....knock on wood....
Elegance is still hanging on in the 10G QT.

Body parts and muscles I forgot I had have been sore the past week, drilling and filing PVC. Sooo my daughter kind of owes me so she's been helping. She's had some great ideas.

Here is the structure I'm going to be using in the tank. Any comments good or bad welcome.

Buffy said:
"As the old saying goes ,..try not to get too excited about the highs and try not to get too discouraged by the lows."

@Dary - That must be an old saying, cause I'm old and I ain't never heard it before.

Probably depends more on company than age, because I know those are words to live and die by in the poker world.

I need a few more heaters so it looks like. I've been using the Aqueon Pro and so far they have been doing good. So far none have failed and they maintain the temp within a degree or so.

I also need more salt. Been trying to do some research on that one. I still haven't figure out what I want to go with. I'm tossing around Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, Seachem Laboratories Reef Salt, and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

Anyone want to toss out opinions on these 3 salts?

I've also emailed LiveAquaria to try to get into the tour on Feb 25th. I can always pick up the stuff at the retail store but it is more expensive then online, and on the 25th there is supposed to be a 10% retail store discount, but I'm thinking that still won't beat a few others prices.

Bulk reef supply instant ocean reef crystals. Buy the first batch in a plastic bucket, then get the bagged refills. Or order $49 in total supplies from Foster&Smith for free shipping. If you don't have the $49 order BRS is cheaper.

This is a fine grained, easy to dissolve salt with lots of calcium. It is also priced nicely.

Back
Top Bottom