Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update with pic

Here is my 20G quick setup
1 - dresser (don't look in, you'll find my pj's lol)
1 - plywood bigger than tank
1 - foam bigger than tank
1 - emperor 400 with media cartridges (I bagged some carbon in one and bagged some floss in another) - one cartridge on each side.
1 - 100 watt Aqueon Pro Heater
1 - Koralia Evolution 750
1 - Current USA Pro 6-bulb held up by edge of 75G tank (which is also attached to pulley for a little more stability) and the right side of the light is setting on the edge of my 48" single stock bulb fixture). Everything plugged in to surge protector which is plugged into a surge protector which is plugged into the wall.

WHEW, talk about Jerry Rigging.........No grandkids allowed on premises for now and my dog gets no visitors either for now.

This picture isn't gonna stay for long, so look while you can.......Cause this is really embarassing.:eek:

Next update will have my baby corals mounted and in this tank also. I am procrastinating glueing cause I'm chicken. Once I get going I'll be fine, gotta get over the initial chicken s*h*i** hump.

When do you think you'll fill it up again? I also think it was a good idea to empty.

Thank you, I think it was a good idea also, as I said, I probably would have been worrying constantly.

Not sure as of right now....If you have read earlier in my thread...I have mentioned several times.....I hate plumbing.....LOL, well I'm cutting/drilling and well messing with that icky nasty pvc junk. Am gonna put some on the bottom of the tank before sand and rock.

Hindsight. After alot of reading I decided since my tank was emptied I might as well try this and see how it goes. I only have the 2 fish so I know they are ok in that size tank.

It will probable be slower than right I like, just because I think I need to go back to work to take a vacation cause man does my body hurt LMAO. Go to work to vacation the body and come home to vacation the brain. Jeez can't win LMAO.

Lol you'll get there someday. I'm not sure if I understand, is the 20 permanent?

How does temporary permanent sound? LOL, No it's only til I finish up a little with the 75 then everything in there goes to my 75. My 75G is my Display Tank, the 20G is supposed to be my sump lol. I may try to get the plumbing done for the sump before I transfer them all back too though. (Am not sure how to do it yet and need overflow and stuff yet).

As you can see there is 1/2" construction insulation foam between the 75G and the stand. On the 20G there is also plywood between tank and dresser (for leveling), is included in the design of the 75G so it can't be seen (it's on the bottom of the stand), the 20G I put it on top of dresser cause it's only temporary.

Anyway, my friend that made the stand knows I want a "lip" to hide the foam on my 75. I forgot to call him so he called me this am, I just called him back with the measurements. So when the 75G is finally being used as a Display Tank there will be a matching 1/2" or so of oak trim (lip) to cover the pink foam :). Told him no hurry lol, had alot on my plate at the moment.

Gotta run for bout 1/2 hour then am transferring 8 more corals to the 20G.

Do I need to acclimate them over a period of time???? They have been in a 10G since I got them in on December 16th. I wanted to QT them for a month but since things have been hectic, it's been longer than than and I'm glad I didn't move them to my DT.

Lol you'll get there someday. I'm not sure if I understand, is the 20 permanent?

I can't click on the link in your signature, it gives me an error 404 file not found. (The requested URL /http://s1076.photobucket.com/albums/w448/penfan321/ was not found on this server.)

How does temporary permanent sound? LOL, No it's only til I finish up a little with the 75 then everything in there goes to my 75. My 75G is my Display Tank, the 20G is supposed to be my sump lol. I may try to get the plumbing done for the sump before I transfer them all back too though. (Am not sure how to do it yet and need overflow and stuff yet).

As you can see there is 1/2" construction insulation foam between the 75G and the stand. On the 20G there is also plywood between tank and dresser (for leveling), is included in the design of the 75G so it can't be seen (it's on the bottom of the stand), the 20G I put it on top of dresser cause it's only temporary.

Anyway, my friend that made the stand knows I want a "lip" to hide the foam on my 75. I forgot to call him so he called me this am, I just called him back with the measurements. So when the 75G is finally being used as a Display Tank there will be a matching 1/2" or so of oak trim (lip) to cover the pink foam :). Told him no hurry lol, had alot on my plate at the moment.

Gotta run for bout 1/2 hour then am transferring 8 more corals to the 20G.

Do I need to acclimate them over a period of time???? They have been in a 10G since I got them in on December 16th. I wanted to QT them for a month but since things have been hectic, it's been longer than than and I'm glad I didn't move them to my DT.

I was under the impression that chlorine was a small enough particulate that a significant amount of it still got through your RO. when I used to do aquariums I never tested for it I always just did the 1 drop per gallon thing after using the RO unit, Then mixed the salt in after that let it stand for and hour the tested specific gravity.

further more whats is a TD never heard of it.

TDS = Total Dissolved Solids - A measure of inorganic and organic solids in a liquid. Before RO/DI filter my TDS was extremely high (don't remember what -it's somewhere in this thread), After RO/DI filter, my TDS was less than 1 I believe. When the TDS numbers go up after the RO/DI then I know it's time to change out the resin because the RO/DI is not working as efficiently and not removing the Dissolved Solids.

Hope this helps.

I see what you mean now about the Chlorine. Thanks

All's Good

Everybody is finally in the 20G. Gluing Ricordia's and Polyps to disc's is not an easy task. I try not to touch the corals and I end up touching the whole thing. How the heck can you glue these things without touching them especially when you gotta kinda push them into the glue. I have 3 different tweezers but there was hardly anything underneath to grab onto.

LOL, well they are all done and inside the 20G, I would have taken pictures but I turned out the lights and fed so everyone's stress level's would peter out. (Like mine lol).

The first one's I put in are already opening back up. I will take pictures tomorrow when I turn the lights on.

Everyone else is doing good I think. The Elegance hasn't opened up normally yet, only has a little and his tentacles are pretty short right now. The Coco Worm is undressing everytime I turn around, he decided to throw some of his shell on the bottom of the tank I guess. And he's still out looking around. I think I should call him The Streak :whistle::whistle::whistle:, whistle. LOL Ok that shows my age.

So I'm done messing in that tank for now. Tomorrow, back to cutting up pvc and stuff.

I was given an amazing tip about gluing frags. Use a small ball of epoxy and turn it into a cylinder. Make sure your hands and the putty is wet. Use super glue on one of the ends and stick it on the frag. Stick the other end on the rock you want it on. It stays where you want if and drys fast.

Sorry no pic

Sorry no pics right now, I can't get my phone to turn on and my only other camera doesn't have a card in it and I can't find it LOL.

Sad to say my Peppermint Shrimp died. He was doing fine last night, no heavy breathing or anything, I watched and used my magnifying glass on everything in that 20G last night before bed and all was well at 1:30am. So I don't know what happened other than this morning I turned on one set of lights and there was my Cardinal with something hanging out of it's mouth. I got my phone and tried to turn it on to get a pic and well that didn't happen.

I didn't know at the time it was my shrimp. I turned my back and what ever was in his mouth was gone, then I saw the remainder of the shrimp near the power head. From the "neck" back is what was near the power head so I am assuming the Cardinal had the head and whatever else in its mouth.

Man I feel like no matter what I do, something is picking off my livestock one by one just to torture me and teach me a lesson. GRRRR.

I fed them good last night too. Ugg. I think I may have gotten a little glue on some of the fleshy parts of my Ricordias but won't know til they expand like they had before.

Off to call the phone company, find out what's wrong with my Droid. Pics to come as soon as I can get a working camera.

Have a great day all, and thanks for following.

Pic Time :)

Here are a few pictures. They are clear on my phone, just not as clear on the pc. You can see new tentacles forming on my Coco also, least I think they are.

You should use photobucket to upload your pictures. :-D Then you just paste the link to the picture in your thread and there are no limits.

Back
Top Bottom