button polyps won't open?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look unhappy. I would say you don't have enough light. How long have they been in the tank. Sometimes Zoas and Palys take a little while to get acclimated to different lighting and tank parameters.

How long have you had it? If you just added it I would give it a few days to adjust.

Ok then with 40 total watts I`m thinking you dont have enough lighting. You really need 3-4 watts per gallon to have enough. I know the WPG rule is vague but with your current lighting you dont have the watts nor do you have intensity or enough par. JMO

Thank you for your input, will have to invest in some lighting!

I'm thinking, since they are stretching and not closer to the rocks, they don't have enough light. Mike and Allen, I am correct? They also don't like tons of direct flow....

It may be a flow issue, I put a brighter light on them and they just kinda shrunk up. I do have direct flow on them because of cyano. Any non chemical methods to cure both issues?

I have zoas in both high and low flow areas with equal results. It all depends on how well the zoas are acclimated to the conditions they are in. I've gotten zoas from online that took weeks to open up and others that were open when I took them out of the box.

You really need more lighting on your system if you plan to keep corals. Check on ebay and craigslist there are always great deals just waiting to be snapped up.

when ever i added corals to my tank, they look dead for the first few days sometimes a few polyps will dissapear but then after a few days they explode and grow, does anyone recall me super gluing yellow polyps to a rock and one to my finger? well those three yellow polyps have been sitting on small piece of dead coral covered in black slime i have to keep removing, well those three polyps on the bottom of my tank a few months ago have now become 12, yes, 12 full plump polyps and another tiny baby on its way.

however in your case, im asking, do you have any other corals in your tank? if those polyps are the only coral you have and they are not doing so well, there isnt anything to compair it to other then to upgrade your lighting and improve water conditions. this may be out there but if you have a clown fish it may be continuously rubbing against your polyps keeping them closed, i dont care for clows as they seem distructive in my personal and friends exp.

and as far as polyps, can anyone identify these guys?

http://www.fantasyreef.com/contest/october/1.jpg

id like to get some.

when i get home im going to post some before and after pictures of my polyps, there is a HUGE difference.

here are some before and after

img_922850_0_79febf5dda10f06efbb9a12557b7cb60.jpg
img_922850_1_c29b2295b7d315e70960e3a1878e22f2.jpg
img_922850_2_f79a405b1b70792e2998d5497ac76fbd.jpg
img_922850_3_c102c1bfa537b8edc5e140c946b6da05.jpg

VERMITID SNAILS are all over this frag. I was just reading that they are good but pose a problem with corals. I often find stringy stuff all over them and thought this was OK. Please give me any info on this issue being that my polyps haven't been open in over a month. Thanks for all your help. I also have found another very small button at the very bottom of my tank and it is open a doing good.

As much as you want to go cheap on lighting, I'm afraid your polyps don't share your enthusiasm for the idea. A couple folks here have pointed towards your lighting, and I'll have to agree with them.

I've got vermitid snails all over my tank, and they don't cause any issues for the corals. They cast their sticky webs out when there's excess food in the tank, and reel in their meals. I've never seen it being a concern to corals at all.

no one has anything to say about my polyp growth?

and i got my lighting for i think 90 bucks at marine depot, its a 65 watt 50/50 power compact w/ a moon light.

What size is your tank? That is the same lighting I have plus I have a 20w actinic bulb for additional light. My green star polyps I just bought have opened just fine at the bottom of my tank. But till this day my buttons won't open. I think they are being attacked by some sort of algae or fungus. Ohh by the way, nice pics, your polyps look way better than mine. I will post more pics of the frag tommorrow. Till then thank you all!

i have a 20 gallon tall, now lets not talk about the water content, the small polyp rock that i made has been sitting at the bottom in the sand since i glued the polyps on it, the top of the rock is 10 inches from the water surface because of my deep sand bed. if you have the same lighting i have, and your polyps are anywhere less then 10 inches from the water surface, then your polyps should have opened by now.

if your polyps ever open, i would recommend feeding them blood worms and brine shrimp, they will grow faster and their flagella seem to grow longer.

Back
Top Bottom