canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm running a filstar canister filter on my 20 gallon tank. I have activated carbon and mechanical filtration pads but no bio filtration. I've read that bio stars or ceramic rings aren't good to use...can someone tell me why? Also, would it be a good idea to use live rock ruble in place of stars or rings?

in FW, I use ceramic rings in my canister.

SW seems to greatly prefer the live rock approach. The rings or balls will accumulate gunk and turn into nitrate producing machines. Not as much a problem with FW, and SW critters are more sensitive. Aerobic bacteria (oxygen using) convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate, anerobic bacteria (no oxygen) convert nitrate to other stuff.

You only grow the aerobic forms on the ceramic/bio balls, whereas with LR you get a little of both (anerobic would be deep within the rock with very little water flow). Deep sand beds also harbor these bacteria.

Interesting, this could be the cause of an algae problem I've been fighting in my tank. I've been running a fluval 404 since the tank was setup in January and 1 media tray contains the fluval bio-media. I was told at the time that I would never need to replace that media so I have not been doing any maintenance on that tray. Should I rinse the media in SW every now and again or should I even stop using the canister altogether ? (It's a 55G with about 100lbs of LR and 2" Live Sand. The canister is only running bio + mechanical.)

All advice appreciated and good topic mattmku !!

thanks, that cleared up my question as to why they increase nitrates.

So besides the volume of the filter, there really is no difference in a sump and a canister filter? correct?

Back
Top Bottom