Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-06-2004, 05:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Keep in mind that using products and PO4 sponges does not really "solve" the problem. Items like this, while helpful at the begining, are mearly band-aids. You still need to get to the root of the problem to eliminate it. As mentioned, source water is the biggest contributor. Howver, foods can also introduce PO4 into the water causing a decline in water quality.

lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
I was gone this weekend and when I came back I found what I think is hair algae growing on my rock. I thought I had the same stuff on the substrate, but it looks like that is cyano bacteria.

I have a 10 gallon reef with a MaxiJet 400 providing the bulk of the movement. There is also a HOB filter that provides some movement, but not too much. The water is pre-mixed RO water from my LFS, and the lighting is a 2X48W daylight/actinic PC. I haven't fed anything yet because I don't have fish yet, but I did add a couple pellets to see if I could coax out whatever's clicking in my tank.

I don't have a PO4 test kit, but I have a couple kits to get tonight and might as well add that to the list.

Do I need another PH, or can I get away with just repositioning it? How do I know where the water flow is going?

hisc1ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Another small PH would not hurt. Put them in oppisite corners of the tank adn direct them at each other to create a caotic current.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com