cant seem to get my powerhead to ripple the surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed. Those nano power heads are for the birds. Seriously over hyped. Go with your old one and get another. I know it sinks cause there soooo big.

The nanos aren't bad, but will not cut it for a 20 gallon... If I had a 20, I would put 2 750's in there on alternating timers.

hm im not sure why i need more power? i thought some tanks prefer low-moderate flow

with my single 750 it was blasting my corals if not placed well, and i couldnt tell if my fish liked it. Even though I had my 750 koralia pointing up against the middle of the tank, my xenia at the other side of the tank could not close up at night(farthest from flow, and only place I can put it).

i dont understand all this feedback AFTER i buy my powerheads, in my other thread no one said 2x425 would not be enough :(

also my old one was 750, i have 2x425 so thats 850, i DO have more power, as in GPH, just not dispersed in one direction, more random like every one encourages

i COULD just put my 750 back pointing at the surface, and use my 425 to keep stuff from going on the sand bed, but my goal was to reduce too strong of a jet direction type of stream. Once again i stress, I felt with a 750 pointing in one direction my fish might of not liked it. When I first got my clownfish the only place he could sleep was right underneath the powerhead, and he still kept getting pushed a round a tiny bit. I get jealous when I look at other peoples tank and see they have such a strong gentle stream that their corals AND fish like. If my corals and fish are enjoying my new powerheads i wont put my 750 back, my biggest concern was the rippling of the surface.

I have a small ripple, but ive seen tanks on youtube without any surface agitation at all and they had beautiful corals and fish

this guy has a little surface agitation because of the hob filter, but its comparable to my small rippples. Although he DOES have those bubbles :/

Why don't you run the 750 on the back wall facing up, and the nanos on far corners...

the 750 is so big it would probably ruin the flow the nano gives out, and just cause an explosion at the surface

plus its bulky and all the wires, brings out my ocd

An HOB will not give you the type of flow you need, and neither will a skimmer. You have a total of 3 power heads that will solve your problem, you just need to tweak them... I would get over the OCD for a bit and work on a healthy aquarium...

my question comes to this, if i require so much power like every one says, than how do seahorse tanks thrive with little to no flow and no surface agitation?

my friends seahorse tank (empty right now cept corals and inverts) is doing great with a single powerhead thats not even pointed at the surface. His xenia has grown 5x faster than mine. I have a midas blenny/ywm/future clownfish and soft corals, all they need everywhere I read is low-medium flow.

thanks again everyone, i am not argueing i am just trying to get clear answers, often I will get a question and everyone will say the same thing but will not say WHY or have any reasoning beyond that its text book procedure. I am trying to find why 2x425 is too weak but a 750 and 425 is perfect? thats almost double the power. I already stressed that the strong flow in one direction made it difficult for my xenia, and that my midas looked like he was having trouble swimming, and that my clownfish had trouble "resting". These are the concerns that made me swap powerheads. If i add my 750 with my 425, i will still have too much current in one direction, and keep in mind i would like my corals and fish to rest well at night. The high flow may be nice for some corals and some fish but overall there is little place to avoid this high flow because the 750 evo is huge

i could be wrong and my xenia and midas love the flow, but only time will tell with my new powerhead placement. I dont understand why i need more power still, i have a ph rippling the surface and its not much different than others i see on youtube, except the rippling doesnt go as far like my 750, only half way across the tank. The other ph seems to be doing a good job of preventing items from settling

i hear if corals are doing good and im not getting dirty, than shouldnt i have enough flow, yet every one here is saying get MORE power..why! I am just trying to avoid getting advice that will cost me more money without a good reason, other than its healthier, because you guys or I cant possibly know until a few weeks at least from now

Certain creatures like sea horses require very low flow and certain corals require the same. Fond out what you want and what you intend to keep and maybe those PH's will be fine.

This is one main reason I tossed them and went with the mp10. I know it's expensive but I didn't want bulky PH's taking up what little space I had in a 29 gallon cube.

ha yeah, i googled the mp10 after all the commotion and was shocked to see a 250 dollar price tag. If i could get away with the powerhead for 50 i would of done it, but 250 FML

Back
Top Bottom