Is this dumb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dajonx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning!

Is it dumb to aim a powerhead towards the gravel on the opposite side of the filter? That way, it'll stir up the yucky stuff towards the filter and be cleaner in the tank? This is in a 38 gallon tank.

Thank you!

Not at all. You want to get good circulation so that there are no dead zones where detritus can collect. You may just want to lower the power head closer to the bottom of the tank so that you create an upwelling of the water at the bottom so that your filter can remove anything that comes up. (y)

Thank you so much! The dimensions of the tank is kinda weird. It feels more like a square than a long rectangle. Is this not recommended?

Do you have any product recommendations for a powerhead?

Thank you so much! The dimensions of the tank is kinda weird. It feels more like a square than a long rectangle. Is this not recommended?

Do you have any product recommendations for a powerhead?

I'm not all that familiar with which brands are on the market today but even if your tank is a square, place the powerhead or wave maker pump in the middle of the side opposite from the filter's intake and blow directly at the opposite side wall. This will cause the water to rise when it hits the side wall. (y)

I was thinking about something like this. Have both aim towards the gravel to stir up the junk in the dead zone. Wouldn't that work better? :confused:

I'm not sure what happened to my previous post (maybe due to a hyperlink?).

I was planning on purchasing a swivel head powerhead and aim it towards the dead zone gravel. Wouldn't that help clean the tank more thoroughly? :confused:
You have to make sure it doesn't create a new dead zone somewhere else in the tank. By placing it in the middle of the tank, it covers all the bottom by creating a current.

Ahh, I see. Thank you so much for the advice and information!

Back
Top Bottom