Carpet anemone - Sand star - Do not mix!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yesterday, I added one of those white, sand sifting starfish to my tank. I was hoping that he would stir up the sand bed a bit.

So today I happen to be watching as the sand star crawled over and laid one of it's arms into the green carpet anemone. The starfish had four arms firmly attached to glass and could have pulled away...but I guess they aren't very smart.

I intervened when the anemone had 3 of the 5 arms and the starfish was clearly going to lose.

I think I'll feed the anemone. It seems hungry.

:lol: Sorry man not funny but had to laugh. Very true the Star will lose to the anenome...But on the contray I hope the star fish has learned a valuable lesson....we hope. (crossing fingers) Then anenome more than likely had the star paralyzed from the sting.

All right to laugh...it was funny. No, I don't think the star learned anything. In fact, it went right back for more after doing 1 lap of the tank. This time, it passed right UNDER the anemone without incident.

Back to the LFS it goes....if it is still alive tomorrow.

Mostly, I'm worried about the anemone. I don't want it to attempt to eat anything that large.

Hmm you might be fine leaving it in the tank sandsifters usually stay in the sand mostly after a week or so and the glass. But you never know with this hobby

Back
Top Bottom