changing filter sock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quick question.. would throwing away a used sock and replacing it with a new one cause any kind of spike in the parameters or is that not enough BB to worry about?(46g reef with 20g sump/refugium and roughly 60lbs of live rock)

I change out my filter socks a few times a week generally. Your live rock and sand are where the biological filtration takes place. the sock is just getting particulate matter out of the water. changing out the sock may even help reduce nitrates since the stuff that the sock caught cant rot away. :)

Why on earth would you throw away the filter sock?! They are expensive. I always throw a pile of mine in the washing machine (without soap, ofcourse) and then hang dry. Rinse and repeat forever. I
Change my sock once every 4 or 5 days or so.

Why on earth would you throw away the filter sock?! They are expensive. I always throw a pile of mine in the washing machine (without soap, ofcourse) and then hang dry. Rinse and repeat forever. I
Change my sock once every 4 or 5 days or so.

I just washed two of mine with bleach this past weekend. I rinsed them in freshwater and then used a generous helping of dechlorinator before putting them back in the sump. No ill effects.

Back
Top Bottom