chemi-clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Gillman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings,I am experiencing the first cyano out break in my salt tank and before it gets out of control i was thinking about using a product called chemi-clean by boyd enterprises.I guess my question is does anybody have any experience with this product?The tank is a 35 gal hex and has been up for a little over 10 months.I think the last piece of lr i added may have contributed to the outbreak. TIA

I have used Chemi-clean with a lot of success in the past. It does a great job of removing exsisting cyno from the tank. That being said, it is VERY important to find the underlying cause of the cyno and correcting it to keep it from coming back. I suggest testing for PO4 and using RO/DI water for all water changes and top-offs. If you do not find and correct the source of the cyno it will just keep coming back.

Erythromycin is an antibiotic used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria and since erythromycin is the main ingredient in ChemiClean, it will kill the cynobacteria. Be sure and follow the directions on the bottle. But, as Lando says, you need to find the source of the phos...underskimming, overfeeding, etc.

Chemi clean does not contain erythromycin, it is an oxidizer not an antibiotic.

Cheers
Steve

Sounds like maybe high phosphates. Try a binder, turn up your skimmer so it wet skims, and consider replacing your bulbs. Most only last 8 - 12 months. Chemi-clean does work but doesn't address the root cause of your problem. Good luck!

KG

Chemi clean ROCKS!!! Had some cyano in my 125 reef a few weeks ago due to some dead spots and low flow areas on the sand, used it, POOF = No more cyano :) none of my corals or inverts got sick.... would DEF use again.

If you think its due to the last piece of LR, is it blocking some flow areas on the sand? you might want to reposition powerheads if that could be the cause.

HTH

In my case, Chemi-clean didn't do it. It turned out to be under skimming. A new, much higher capacity skimmer solved my problem in 48 hours.

Brad said:
In my case, Chemi-clean didn't do it. It turned out to be under skimming. A new, much higher capacity skimmer solved my problem in 48 hours.
Quite a common problem really. Sorbant products can only remove inorganic forms of PO4. Skimming and water changes using a pure water source are the only means of removing organic forms unless broken down biologically within the tank.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom