what is this cyanobacteria or mold on my algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexthecichlid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I will post photos as I am very confused as to what this can be growing on top of my beautiful algae. I think it is cyanobacteria from the research I've done but I can't be sure. It's not on my glass or gravel simply growing on top of already matured algae. Is it mold? Slime mold I'm not sure. I would really love help!!! , my fish eat it off and on I've seen but not sure if they are eating around this stuff. I clean filters on a reg schedule and weekly water changes. My lighting has been overdone as my intent was to grow algae for my (yet) that is if it is cyano, however, I would like someone with more experience than me with this to help me. I have different light systems and the colour of the algae changes depending on the light used. 18,000 kelvin it's a green colour 7,000 kelvin it's a blue-green lower kelvin it's white and slime looking. It does not smell I took a piece out to smell. Someone please help me!

If it is cyano and it is not growing out of control can I keep it on the rocks or how do I deal with this without killing my beautiful algae??? I have added carbon in and ammonia absorber as I have the light off and on for short feeding periods and I read that cyano can adapt to no light if ammonia is available in high amounts. I read it can kill my beneficial bacteria. What do I do as I don't want to dose antibiotics and risk killing a biofilter that is working great?

Attachments

• IMG_7306.jpg
    IMG_7306.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7309.jpg
    IMG_7309.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7312.jpg
    IMG_7312.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7310.jpg
    IMG_7310.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 57
my ideas have worked it's already clearing up seachem excel small doses and limited light have been so far successful as well as activated carbon

Hello al...

Cyanobacteria is a simple form of algae. It looks good and is a good water purifier. If you keep up on your water changes and don't feed the fish too much, it won't get out of control and will give the tank a more natural look.

B

Back
Top Bottom