Chemical Additive Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd like to start a discussion on the negatives/positives of different chemical additives for a FO tank...

Examples: activated carbon, water softner, buffer....

I'd like to get a handle on what I may need for my tank and what I can do without...

That would depend largely on the chemical balance of the water you are using. My well water is ph of 6.3 out of the tap, so obviously that issue is addressed at every water change. The carbon would definitely be needed if you are using mechanical filtration only.....just a couple of thoughts.

My water is hard and low PH ... terrible stuff... I plan on using a Pur water filter, then treating it with Stress Coat, Marine Buffer, and Instant Ocean during my water changes...

I was planning on using carbon in the sump...for like 1 week/month...

What I'm looking for is people's experience with this kind of thing..

treating it with Stress Coat

That will make any skimmer you have on your tank go CRAZY.

No one should add that stuff to their saltwater tank if they use a skimmer.

If your water is bad then the first thing I would do is get a RO unit. That pur water filter really is nothing more than a carbon filter I suspect.

Okay... Stress Coat...Bad... What should I be using for chlorine/chloramine removal?

And yes, the Pur water filter uses activated carbon...I won't drink the tap water without it... We have lots of sulfur in our supply..

That will make any skimmer you have on your tank go CRAZY.

Boy you aren't lying on that one, he he, I used it for a while and I put a gal in for top off and poured a gal out of the skimmer container...he he...needless to say, I still use it but, exactly what the directions say. I found out the squeeze bottle is too tempting to just squeeze into the jug and mix. I don't lose much any more...also,

I use Oceans Blend, for a complete additive.

And yes, the Pur water filter uses activated carbon...I won't drink the tap water without it... We have lots of sulfur in our supply..

I would have to say you might really enjoy a full blown RO/DI filter. It will make 99% pure water from the outset.

PrettyFishies said:
Okay... Stress Coat...Bad... What should I be using for chlorine/chloramine removal?

You are spending a lot of time and money getting your setup juts right. Get yourself a RO or RO/DI. I use one for my municipal supply. Check for threads on RO/DI and you'll find many recommendations. I got the Typhoon III for airwaterice.com but you might want to think about getting the dual home/reef system.
http://www.airwaterice.com/Home Reef.htm

From fw experience I used to used NovAqua/Amqel from Kordon for chlorine/chloramine removal.
http://www.kordon.com/kpds.htm

If you go this route just use Amqel for your water changes. From the Kordon product specifications:
"Use caution when adding liquid AmQuel to water that has a poor buffer reserve (as indicated by problems maintaining a stable pH). Using AmQuel in these conditions can cause a sudden lowering of pH. To prevent a pH drop, use either AmQuel Plus Buffers or Pure Dry AmQuel instead of liquid AmQuel.
The advantages of using NovAqua are:
1. Provides a protective colloid coating on the fish's body during injury"

Back
Top Bottom