Chemicals and Livestock Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my high PH level was around 8.0 and i wanted to increase it to 8.3 again to get it into the sweet spot for my 55G saltwater. Upon recommendation from API, i purchased the API Max Buffer PH increasing powder. Its instructions were to place 5ccs per 10 gallons (roughly 5 scoops) I only put in 1 scook for the simple fact that i did not need to increase it by much. The second i placed the powder in, my sandsifting star just about jumped from the sand and started doing like 3 laps around the tank and decided to climb up the tank. This may be ironic however made me nervous as this start usually is not active until the lights are off on the tank. It was extremely unlike it, the start even made the fish nervouse! haha. It was kinda of funny. Any one know if this stuff is bad for the fish, starts, cleanup crea (astreas, nassarious). I am getting an anemone, clowns, and hippo tank within the next month and dont want to add dangerous chemicals.

Inverts and stars are VERY sensitive to changes in PH, salinity, and temp. Dumping that stuff right into the DT with out diluting it first probably shook him up and he was running to find a stable spot. I wouldn't recommend doing that again as repeated stress like that can significantly shorten the stars lifespan.

I agree. You should have diluted it in a glass of water first and then add slowly into the tank. Never add a raw chemical straight into a tank.

I agree it is meant to be diluted with water first and dripped in.

Back
Top Bottom