Chocolate Chip Star (Protoreastor nodosus)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it really not reef safe?
What should i feed it?
It was free so i couldn't say no.

Anything special i should know about it?

and I LOVE IT!

YES, it really is not reef safe. They are predators, like most starfish. You might get away with for awhile, but evenually they will start to be destructive.

KG

Yup me too .... I recently obtained a CCS and was told that if you keep them well fed they will not bother anything! RIGHT ... so I was feeding him about every other day a chunk of shrimp and scallop, the other morning I woke up and he was on my one lone rock of shrooms and devoured all but 3 of them! I quickly moved the shrooms into my Nano and have decided that he needs bigger portions!

They eat like monsters!

VERY destructive in a reef aquarium. they will park themselves on top of coral colonies and eat away. They have also been know to topple rockwork so make sure your LR is stable.

i've had my chocolate chip for about 4 months and he's great. he hasn't touched any of my mushrooms. i give him a chunk of shrimp or mussel typically about every 4 days or so. he'll sit at the top of the tank and i'd say about 3/4 of him will be stretched out on the water's surface just calling for the food when he detects it.

i have no corals but from what i've heard he'll devour them.

EDIT: i should add that mushrooms, snails and hermit crabs are my only macro sized non-fish life in my tank

Great.
Thats good to know. Now i have 3 fish i cant put in a reef. lol
well. i'm gonna try to sell it then.

Yeah i noticed that too. that it says great for reefs then it goes on to say not reef safe. WTF is wrong with them lol.

Back
Top Bottom