Circulation...again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just replaced my one Powersweep 228 with two Maxi-Jet 1200 powerheads. I went from 180 gal/hr (it was not putting out that much) to about 600 gal/hr plus the return from my sump with a Mag 7.5. Is this too much circulation? It certainly keeps the water moving. I am trying to eliminate stagnet spots where cyno was growing. Now that it is all set up, it just seems like a lot of flow to me. Thanks! Lando

For a 72g this is just about right. You may need to experiment with positioning to get a good random current.

I have a 75 gal with a mag7(never heard of a 7.5)in the sump and 3 maxi 1200 and I still have dead spots. I am getting a Seio 620 which is supposed to put out 620 gph but we will see.

I think it just depends on your aquascaping and where the ph's are placed.

Ya'll seen the Red Sea Wavemaster pro? Love mine. It controls three powerheads for different preferences - reef, fish, feeding (all shut down), and nitetime. As far as positioning, 2 of the 3 flows meet at the front of the glass (bowfront) to create a milder flow back thru the middle of the tank. My corals seem to love the random flows since the Wavemaster intermittently controls the PHs.

Back
Top Bottom