Cirolanid Isopods ... maybe!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I seem to have bad luck no matter what hobby I pursue.

Last night after lights out I was fishing for a welk that was cruising around my tank for a few days! I got him, but now ....

I happen to see a bug on my glass about 1/4" in length and then a few more on the sand ... looked like they were chowin down, you could actually see them tossing the sand around!!! So today I did some research on the net and came up with the "Cirolanid Isopod".
Now I'm not actually sure this is what they are although they sure do look it. From my understanding there is a beneficial "Pod" that looks very similar to these bloodsuckers!
In my tank right now I have an O. clown and my cleaner crew ... the clown shows no visible signs of parasites nor have I seen anything attached to him, so at this point I don't want to jump to conclusions and start trying to catch these things if in fact they are beneficial.
I'm going to try and catch one tonight and take a pic of it to see if anyone here can give me more insite to what it maybe!

Thanks
Jermz

I don't know steve-s!
After capturing one last night and a closer review of it, I do believe it is an Isopod .... big beady black eyes, almost oval body, 2 little tail pieces that resemble a Lobster tail ... I think I may have a problem! I tried to take a pic, but the things are so small and my Digicam SUKS so I couldn't get a clear shot!

DANGIT! Now what?
Like I said ... my O. Clown shows no signs of parasites and is swimming around like a champ, and these things are everywhere (I could see at least 15 on the sand last night). Would I be right to assume that if they are indeed Isopods they would have already attacked my Clown?

I also read on the net that the 6 line Wrasse is a natural predator of these bad Isopods? My LFS has some nice looking 6 lines in right now. Would I be foolish to put that fish in for an attempt at bringing this under control without completely breaking my tank down? Maybe I should have taken that Scooter my buddy was going to give me huh? I know they eat pods as well!
What does everyone think?

Just my luck!
Thanks,
Jermz

You may be in luck then. Looks much like the family Sphaeromatidae which are for the most part scavengers and not parasitic in nature. Read the article I linked to in ReefKeeping.com about ½ down the page. There are several links to other articles that may help further. There is also an body shape ID section that helps narrow down the family type.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/

Cheers
Steve

AWESOME .... wheeeeew, after seeing that site I definitely have what is known as a "Sphaeromatid"! And it looks as though these are beneficial creatures, although kinda weird looking!

It's funny how they say there tail appendages look like the tailfin of a '59 caddy, that's exactly what I told my wife this morning ... "look, it looks like a mini caddilac"

Thanks again steve-s!

Back
Top Bottom