clam compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathyjane

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to try a clam in my tank. Are there compatibility issues, I can't seem to find anything in the compatibility charts. Any other cautions would be appreciated also. Thanks

you just need a lot of light for them. most people would say mh is a must, but you can get away with pc if you have a lot of them. and any thing under 4" must be target fed.

With the lights you have it may be possible for either T. Squamosa or T. Durasa. As indicated above, you will need to feed with phytoplankton (preferabley live cells) if the clam is on the smaller side but if so, be sure you stop using the UV. It will hamper your success. As the clam gets larger it will become more light dependant and target feeding less necessary.

Cheers
Steve

I have two mh @250 watts each and two 40 watt no flours. Will this be enough for any kind of clam because I want the ones that stay smaller and I want more than one.

Depending on how high you have the lamps over the 90 gal you should be just fine as far as light is concerned. Just be sure you keep up with the chemistry as well.

Cheers
Steve

clams

My lights are 8 inches from the bottom of the bulb to the top of the water. There is no glass or acrylic in between. We were told that was the maximum allowable distance without losing the effectivity of the wattage.

Re: clams

electrikat said:
My lights are 8 inches from the bottom of the bulb to the top of the water.
Then you should be just fine (y)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom