Clam Keeping Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchell0605

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Guys,
I'm buying my first clam on Sunday/tomorrow and just wanted some tips from you guys that are well versed in the keeping of clams. So hit me with the knowledge! ;)
Thanks Guys. :)

my best advise is dont kill it lol. i havent a clue. i know i want one down the road but i havent started researching yet cause i have so much more to research ahead of it.

What kind of clam is it? The have different requirements as far as placement and amount of light needed. As far as water parameters, just keep them in the NSW range...alk 7-9 dKH, ca 380-450, mag 1300-1500, low nitrate and undectable phosphate. Clams shells are made of calcium carbonate, so they will pull ca, alk and mag from the water but regular water changes will usually keep everything inline.

Awesome thanks Larry. It's a T.Crocea. So a bit more light than other clams but with my new light unit (6 T5HO's over my tank that's just about 1ft deep) will be able to keep it happy. :)

How big is the clam?
Under about 3" they need supplemental feeding of phyto. It's best to remove them from the tank in a bowl or plastic contianer and add the phyto to the container. Leave the clam in there for 15 - 30 minutes and then return it to the tank.

Larger than 3" light and plent of it is all that is needed (along with good water parameters).

Ive had a crocea clam for maybe 7months that was about 2.5in when I got it. I never gave it any food excpet for t5 light and it seems to be doing alright. (Its growing).

That much t5 light with only 12in of tank depth seems to be more than plenty light for anything.

Seems his clam, being just under 3in, should be fine with the light only, right guys? Or should I be feeding my clam as well? (Its also under 3 in still).

Matt

Back
Top Bottom