Clam question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have zero experience with clams. I would like to put one (small deresa perhaps 1" - 3") in my 29G. I understand lighting is important and I have that covered. Are there special feeding requirements? All params are 0 or near 0. Also keep in mind that I would like to add an anemone at some point. Will there be issues with the anemone and the clam?

Thanks

For that size most likely, but I wouldnt get a deresa for a 29g they grow up to 2 feet. For a smaller tank like that I would go with a Crocea. Anyway best way to feed is to cut the bottom off a soda bottle, place it around the clam and inject phytoplex ect... so it stay in a closed area with the clam. I have a Crocea clam and a anemone in my tank, used to have them in a 20g

Under 2" and they will need feeding, over 2" and they will generally be self sufficient with the occasional light phyto addition to the tank for that added "boost". If under 2", the best means of feeding them is via a bowl outside the tank. Add just enough phyto to the bowl to give it a weak jade color. Add the clam and after about ½ hr or so the water should be clear for the most part. The bottle idea does work as well but you run the risk of clogging the clams gills if not extra careful. Aside from that, you do not introduce unneccessary nutrient to the tank with the bowl.

As for the anemone, be extra sure you run carbon in the filtration at all times. Clams are somewhat sensitive to toxins and anemones are among the worst. I would also suggest adding the anemone first. Once it's settled and established the clam placement will be easier and not subject to the wanderings of a new anemone.

"Ideally" though, anemones are not technically reef creatures. The best situation is one or the other, not both. Not being a perfect world though... 8)

Cheers
Steve

Awesome, if I had to choose, I suppose it will be the clam. My past experience with anemones is not great. The feeding is good info, I thought they were pretty much photo feeders. I need to read more, but I will be looking into the crocea.

Thanks

they are pretty much photo once they grow. If you get a nice size one then you dont have to feed it

Back
Top Bottom