Cleanup crew / bioload question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlflan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does the addition of a clean up crew (mainly crabs and snails) add to the bioload. How about the addition of a couple of cleaner shrimp? Do they add to the bioload.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

The cleaner shrimp do, but not much at all. Im really not sure about the crabs and snails, but im pretty sure they dont ad to the bio load.

Most inverts will not increase your bioload, nothing to worry about.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

Thanks for the replies! I see a few online places that sell clean up crew packages. These packages are much cheaper than what I would pay at my lfs buying the crew individuallly. So after my tank (60 gal hex, (I know its not the best for saltwater, but it is what I have to work with right now)) finishes cycling (I plan on cylcing with 80-90 lbs of live rock from lr.com), and I add my first couple of fish, will I be able to add an entire cleanup crew all at once, or do I need to wait and add just a few at a time. I was thinking that if they don't add to the bioload, they could all go in at the same time, but I wasn't sure.

I started with the cleaning crew before I had fish. After the cycle there was a lot of algae to clean up. Are you planning on QT your fish? Cleaning crew doesn't need QT thats another reason they went in first. Watching the LR was interesting but inverts scurry about was much more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom