Clear tubing turns white in salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericsze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some clear tubing running from my sump into my main tank. After a while (1 month of so), the tube has turned white from the inside. I don't know what it is, but it only turns white in the tube that's submersed. I don't know if this is good or bad, but I'm going to change out that secection of the tube for PVC pipe tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Not sure what causes it exactly, generally it is because of the corrosive effects of SW. It happens to the tubing in my tank and I have used it for years at a time.

I have found that in some of the clear tubing on my Skimmer. It turned out to be salt creep. It built up so bad before i noticed it, it clogged the tube to the ventury completely and made my skimmer...uhhh...stop skimming :roll:

Squeeze the tubing, if you feel it crumble inside the tube, you got salt build up.

Salt water actually changes the composition of the clear tubing and it becomes opaque... It also gets hard...Salt creep inside of your venturi tube can be alieviated by squirting fresh water through it...The kind of discoloration and hardness of the plastic tubing will not be resolved no matter what until replaced... There is a type of tubing used for Ozonators I believe is made from silicone that will not do this... It is also a bit more expensive...

Back
Top Bottom