Clown Fish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdl91881

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was looking at getting some percula clowns and was wondering if I could get four of them in the same tank (55 Gallon). I've heard that its best to keep them as a mated pair or else they may pick on each other. Is this true or could I get four of them?

It is best to keep them in pairs. As long as you have the room, which you do, you can get 4 of them. But get them all at the same time. Less problems with territorial disputes. Also, be aware that they can change their sex to match up.

Tank raised Percula clowns are good schooling fish . If not tank raised they need to be introduced at the same time . You should have no problem . Unlike the maroon or tomato who will fight . there are lots of clown fish varieties . if they dont get along try moving things in your tank around and put anemones far apart .

From what I understand (I will be corrected if wrong) you will not end up with two mated pairs but one dominant female and three subservient males. The strongest fish will fight and dominate the others and when it is clear 'he' is dominant will promplty change into the female. The lesser males will then establish a pecking order for breeding purposes. One male will be the dominant male with the other two being the "males in waiting". I thought this was true of all clowns but I may be wrong.

Mark

Accually the largest clown will become the female. The second largest will become the male. And all the other smaller ones will stay asexual juviniles.

Mark, the only correction I would make is that there will only be one male and one female in the clutch, the rest will be nueter males with no functional gonads.

Michael, while I have never seen an instance where the most dominant clown wasn't also the largest...it is the attitude (dominance) that determines which will change to female, rather than size. I also admit that it is splitting hairs :lol: :oops:

so if i got four of them they WOULD NOT form two pairs. Would it be possible to get one pair and add a second pair at a later time?

your better off introducing them all at the same time . They will sort it out . That clown is not that aggressive . good luck

Back
Top Bottom