Do Clown Loaches & Oscars make good tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Oscar FB Group has spoken with a resounding yes from 20+ people and a sad questionable story from one person. There are good Oscar FB groups & some not so good. I finally found a very good one with many experienced Oscar owners.

Oscars are very popular fish so many people keep them. Do they keep them right? Not always. :( Most don't keep them well enough to actually live out a long life. But you can't be the fish police for everybody. :whistle:

It was amazing how people today called out the person who said her 4” Oscar ate her 3” clown loach, swallowing it down to most of the tail. Took me back to my hated comparative vertebrate anatomy college class. One woman provided a detailed anatomy of each fish that made the event described an impossibility. Others chimed in likewise. All I said at the very beginning was: Wow! That’s incredible. The woman told her original version in response to my question. So the fish tale person modified her account and said she misremembered the sizes. The Oscar was 7” and the CL 2”.
This is overall a terrific Oscar group & the only one of 7 that I’m keeping. Left the rest. Too much ignorance, neglect & unhappy endings.

A 4 inch Oscar could get a 3 inch clown loach in its mouth. The loach would be too much to swallow and its tail would stick out of the Oscar's mouth. I have seen similar situations with fish trying to eat long thin fish that are nearly as long as the predator's body. In nearly all instances, both fish die.

In the alleged case the Oscar did fine, the CL, not so much. My baby CL are in a grow out tank. Do you have any idea of their growth rate? I’d like to introduce them at 4” with significant girth.

Especially feeders!

Oscars & countless other species can & will destroy tankmates. This generally stems from sheer inexcusable ignorance from owners who cram incompatible species into undersized tanks. A mortal sin in my book.

Last edited:
In the alleged case the Oscar did fine, the CL, not so much. My baby CL are in a grow out tank. Do you have any idea of their growth rate? I’d like to introduce them at 4” with significant girth.

Clown loaches are very slow growing fish. Most take several years to go from 2 to 4 inches. Most take 5-10 years to get to 6 inches. Huge tanks and lots of good food and big water changes can help but they need huge (swimming pool size) tanks to grow fast. If you live in a warm area and have a decent size backyard, you could put them in am above ground pool for the warmer months and that would help get them bigger.

So you’re saying the bigger grow out tank the better in general and specifically for Clowns?
I might as well live at the North Pole! Cold! No outside pools here. Lower temps even summer nights.

I will have to do more reading. I’m seeing CL grow fastest the first year & then slow down, dramatically. Also seeing varying estimations of max size. Many sources say 6-8” while others say 10-12.” The guy at the LFS said he services a tank full of Clowns at an automotive dealer. It’s a 180 G. He said the Clowns are 10-11,” and have been in the showroom for years. Biggest ones he’s ever seen.

So you’re saying the bigger grow out tank the better in general and specifically for Clowns?
I might as well live at the North Pole! Cold! No outside pools here. Lower temps even summer nights.

I will have to do more reading. I’m seeing CL grow fastest the first year & then slow down, dramatically. Also seeing varying estimations of max size. Many sources say 6-8” while others say 10-12.” The guy at the LFS said he services a tank full of Clowns at an automotive dealer. It’s a 180 G. He said the Clowns are 10-11,” and have been in the showroom for years. Biggest ones he’s ever seen.
In certain parts of the world, they are considered as food fish so they get over 12" in nature. In fact, most places won't let you export loaches over 6" because they are the breeding stock starting at that size. People don't usually see CLs that large because they under house them or don't keep them in the best conditions. I've seen foot longs so I know they get that big and bigger. I believe there is a record of one in an aquarium at 16". They also have a 20-25 year lifespan so you know most people don't take the best care of them if they only have them for a few years. Be careful where you get your information. :whistle:

Yes, the bigger the enclosure, the faster they grow.

They can grow to 12 inches (maybe more) but most kept in aquariums only reach 5-6 inches due to tank size. People regularly keep them in 4 foot tanks, which are fine for babies but not big enough for medium size or adult fish.

Clown loaches are another fish that shouldn't really be kept in captivity unless you have a pond or 20 foot + tank. They grow too big and need to be in groups and most people simply don't provide that.

:whistle:You think 12” is too big for a 125 or way larger tank? As in 160 or 180 G?

Think they’re gonna explode on me? What a mess! And the tank may crack given the lack of a mat.

Colin, I have 7: 4”, 5” 6” and four skinny 2” ones growing out in another tank. Do you know of anywhere I can get those anti-growth hormones people are talking about and raise midget Clowns? I could train them to jump through dojo hoops and have my own fish circus.

:clown::clown::clown:

Interesting, I'm surprised the FB posters oscar didn't suffer internal damage. Clown loaches have sub-ocular spine's to prevent them from being eaten. They open like a switch blade when fish feels threatened.
Screenshot_20221228-113439.jpg

Turns out the poster told a much exaggerated fish tale.

That’s a remarkable photo! Do you keep Clown Loaches?

BtW, I asked about golden dojos at the LFS yesterday. I had forgotten the owner already told me she gets all of her fish from NY where they are banned as an invasive species. You’d think what with the blizzards & freezing weather there wouldn’t be many dojo evasions.

They are legal in my state & the guy said they occasionally take them as trades & he just had a 6” white one. I want yellow ones like yours & the guy said he’ll phone if any come in. Those yellow ones would really pop against my black substrate & background

Turns out the poster told a much exaggerated fish tale.

That’s a remarkable photo! Do you keep Clown Loaches?

BtW, I asked about golden dojos at the LFS yesterday. I had forgotten the owner already told me she gets all of her fish from NY where they are banned as an invasive species. You’d think what with the blizzards & freezing weather there wouldn’t be many dojo evasions.

They are legal in my state & the guy said they occasionally take them as trades & he just had a 6” white one. I want yellow ones like yours & the guy said he’ll phone if any come in. Those yellow ones would really pop against my black substrate & background
Yes, I purchased 4 nov 2020. Lost 1 to skinny disease but was able to save others w/api general cure. They're approximately 3.75 - 4in now. Screenshot_20211115-075638.jpg

I will have to google skinny disease. Do they have tank mates?
So in ~2 years they went from ~2” to ~4”? That is a slow growth rate. I’m getting (as usual) conflicting info re growth rate, some sources saying growth rate rapid the first year & then very slow. Looks like it may take the four 2” ones I got a few days ago a long time before I can add them to the tank with the 8” Oscar & 4,5&6” Clowns.

Back
Top Bottom