Clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J19Reynolds

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do you know if a clown will be laying eggs soon? I've never thought about this much but I'm sitting here watching my clowns and noticed one looks pretty fat and her belly area looks darker than normal.

image-3484232151.jpg

Im interested because im about 6 months behind you and hope I get there someday with mine.

They will start to clean rocks before they begin to lay eggs. They clean the rocks so they can lay their eggs on the spot they clean. Mine have been laying eggs for close to two years already. Every 14 to 16 days like clock work

Yes. I have done it several times and it is very very time consuming. I dont do it anymore bc honestly i dont have the time right now. It is alot of work but it is fun at the same time

Most of the time the eggs get eaten. If they do hatch you would have to transfer them to a tank with little flow so they won't get stressed and feed them microscopic food 3-5 times a day. It's a lot of work and for most hobbyists not doable...

Would be awesome to succeed at that though ;)

I have read where people have used small clay potting pots (the reddish ones) on their side and the clowns lay their eggs in there. Simple to remove them to a breeding tank afterwards

Microscopic food? As in freshly hatched brine shrimp?

Mine have been playing in the sand more and spitting it out.. both have been shacking at each other more and the bigger ones belly seems huge compared to normal.

If you google Pytho Plankton you find a Lot of Info. But it Looks like green water to the naked eye...

I have always let the clown pair take care of the eggs until they hatch. On the night they are suppose to hatch i turn all my pumps off and put a brite flashlight on the top of the tank. As they hatch they will start to go towards the light. Then i remove them from my main tank and put them in a smaller tank that has no flow what so ever. For the first week they eat rotifers after that you have to hatch brine shrimp everyday for the next two weeks and then slowly try to get them to eat frozen food

Back
Top Bottom