Clown Fish Breeding or Fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dpetro1047

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a "paired" set of OC Clownfish one Black and one Orange - I have them in a 5 gallon tank I bought from Walmart as a holding tank until my new 55 is up and running - I already have two in my existing 55 tank so I had to get a holding tank - I am doing water changes every 3 days . They seem happy BUT they seem to be at times fighting, biting each other in the mouth and they look like they are rolling around. the Orange one is about 3 inches and the Black one is about 2 inches - I know the female is the bigger one. I was told they already had a fry - so I am not sure if they will in the 5 gallon which I will need to have them in for about a month. Any advice?

Normally the clowns will "fight" for dominance, but if dominance has already been established I'm not sure. Perhaps stress, a 5 gallon tank seems like a very small tank for 2 clowns at 3 and 2 inches. I would suggest getting them into a bigger tank asap.

I have 2 clowns too and same like what you said look like they are fighting.. i have a 3 inch clown and the other 1 is like 1 inch. =(

Dpetro1047 said:
I have a "paired" set of OC Clownfish one Black and one Orange - I have them in a 5 gallon tank I bought from Walmart as a holding tank until my new 55 is up and running - I already have two in my existing 55 tank so I had to get a holding tank - I am doing water changes every 3 days . They seem happy BUT they seem to be at times fighting, biting each other in the mouth and they look like they are rolling around. the Orange one is about 3 inches and the Black one is about 2 inches - I know the female is the bigger one. I was told they already had a fry - so I am not sure if they will in the 5 gallon which I will need to have them in for about a month. Any advice?

Since it is only a five gallon,why don't you get one of those tank dividers from the pet store and keep them separated for now.

Back
Top Bottom