Clownfish compatible for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettacrazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an 8 gallon saltwater tank containing live rock, some mushroom coral, and a yellow watchmen goby. Would it be ok if I placed a baby clownfish and maybe some shrimp in the tank? If the clownfish got to big I could trade it out for another baby as I have done the latter with baby angelfish in one of my freshwater tanks. I just want some input to see if my watchmen goby will get along with it. :fish1:fish2:

Shrimp yes but don't out a clown in an 8 gallon it's too small for one and clowns seem to like being in pairs better

If it's small and tank raised ocellaris it should be ok for a little while. Frequent water tests and water changes will be required though. Just make sure you don't stuff a Maroon or Clarkii in there.

You can DEFINITELY put in a clown, just do not overwhelm such a small tank with too many fish.

Also I can tell you from experience even when my occ. Clowns were only 1.5" in length they would swim the entire length of my 45g (36") tank.

I don't doubt this especially if they didn't have a host anemone. The OP might also want to consider the fish below as an alternative. I still think a little occy (not a pair) would be ok though.

Swissguard basslet: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Swissguard Basslet
Possum Wrasse: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse

8 gallons is pretty small and I'm not exactly sure what to say about putting an Ocellaris Clownfish in it… But what I can tell you is that I have a Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish in my 10Gal tank along with 3 snails, and 3 hermit crabs. It's the only fish in my whole tank as I don't want to risk overstocking my small tank. Tank has about 12lbs of LR and about 2 inches of sand. I run an Aqueon 20 HOB filter and an Aqua Clear 20 as well. I also have 2 small power heads for good flow. I got my Clownfish for my B-Day back in early September and he's doing great! If you go through with it, just monitor your params and gauge your water changes. I do my WC every 2 weeks but I do about 40% WC and that keeps my Nitrates down to about 10ppm-20ppm. Don't listen to people that say it cannot be done. I've heard of people that keep Blue Tangs in a 55 gallon tank, they are healthy and look happy and the recommended size of tank to keep such a fish is 180 gallons!!! I know I might get hate for this, but I think it would be ok if it's the only fish...

I'd just add a pistol shrimp to pair with ur ywm. More than one fish in that 8 gal isn't right IMO.

Back
Top Bottom