Clowns truly are damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
My pair is really starting to annoy me :p they're fat, healthy, and have a heck of a personality. Unfortunately, they're a pain. I can't feed my corals without them picking at the mysis, even from closed duncan heads. They even torment inverts. I had added a peppermint shrimp yesterday and they swam right for it, haven't seen it since. I swear I don't know if I'm dealing with clowns or oscars. I mean, I could trade the pair for a brand new younger pair but I love my 4" clowns. I just wish they were a little nicer :p

Oh, just ocellaris clowns. I probably should have mentioned that haha

Wow.. And they're 4"? Fish are all different.. You may have just gotten some bullies, which wouldn't surprise me at that size

Practically, I mean they're not under 3" that's for sure. I had bought them from a feller reefer who had them given to him. They've got to be at least 3-4 years old. I don't think I'd have the heart to give them away. I think they're even hosting my hairy mushrooms.

Sure they aren't clarkii's? Clarkii's get big and I've seen them be a little more aggressive

All clowns are aggressive, some more than others. I had a big tomato clown once that packed quite a punch when he hit you. I have been attacked by over a hundred at a time when trying to photograph a wild group of them inhabiting a 3' wide anemone. It's like being pecked to death by ducks.

Death by clownfish school attack.. Not as cool as death by great white shark attack, but I guess its unique?

All clowns are aggressive, some more than others. I had a big tomato clown once that packed quite a punch when he hit you. I have been attacked by over a hundred at a time when trying to photograph a wild group of them inhabiting a 3' wide anemone. It's like being pecked to death by ducks.

As unpleasant as that sounds, I'd love to have been there.

You could try moving live rock around to give them something to think about. Just like you do with damsels. I now have an anemone for my clowns and they rarely stray far from it now but will defend the immediate area. My clowns are now laying eggs and very happy. I have damsel fish which are really annoying and i wish i had never bought them

I think I'm going to wait for my upgrade to rescape. I could live with their aggression for now. If it gets worse I'll try rescaping.

And this is why people fear clowns... Oj wait wrong type.

Anyway, moving rock always helps since they need to get re-acquainted with their surroundings. Clowns are very aggressive and territorial.

I still get upset whenever I have to take care of something in the tank and they bite me. Dirty little clowns!

Back
Top Bottom