Copepod poplulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you remember I had previously made a posting on what size can copepod grow to. Well I am still a little concern. My copepod population has grown and they are getter bigger and more visible to the naked eye. I can see them crawling all over the substrate. And often I can see the substrate moving as the little critter go through it. Is like some insect crawling through the lawn. The question is, is this normal? They used to be like lice, but now are more like shrimps but darker in color.

The question is, is this normal?

You should be jumping up and down for joy. :mrgreen:

Shoot I have personally seen a few that would easilyi measure 1/4" in lenght. Dont fret about having to many. Their population will be controled by their food sources. If food is abundant then they will be abundant. if food is scarce then they will be scarce.

the amphipods eat algae so that is O' plenty I assume no one has a completly algae free tank.

At the moment my tank is left to fallow. I have been feeding some brine shrimps once a day to my 2 cleaner shrimps and 1 blood shrimp. So I would say I am probably not over feeding.

Hey Kwan,

I have never heard anyone complain about 2 many copepods. If you don't want to have as many get a manderin fish. They are nature predators and pretty cool if you ask me.

Well, I wasn't sure what to expect. They are getting quite big and abundance. I also notice some amphipods/copepods molts floating in the water. Do they molt like shrimps?

I have seen mine do this, but being some are translucant (sp?) I wasn;t sure if it was a molt or just a large dead one

Back
Top Bottom