Coral Banded Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faerykisses

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all!!!

Just wondered if any one else is keeping a coral banded shrimp. I have one in my 55 gallon tank and I'm just wondering if he really is the best for my system.

It seems to me that I could have one of him...or 15-20 of another kind, like peppermint. Just wondering what you guys thought.

My coral banded just killed a hermit too, so I don't know if he's getting aggressive. The poor hermit was out and vulnerable trying to switch shells, well the minute that Jaques caught wind of him....he snatched him up and ate him...it was quiet gruesome to watch considering the hermit was still alive!!!

Is this normal behavior, I mean, I understand the hermit was just there like a peice of meat, but are coral banded known for this???

Any comments, as always, are greatly appreciated.

~Crys.

I know that CBS's can be very hostile to other invertibrates (heck, mines hostile to my fish. good thing he can't swim) but for me atleast, they're cool enough that I'd rather have one CB than a million other kinds of shrimp. But yeah, he'll bug the heck out of anyone he can.

My CBS will also go after molting/shell changing hermits lighting quick. I have even seen him wave off other smaller fish if both are going after the same food. They can be aggressive but usually only when it comes to eating. Also my other shrimp usually just avoid him. Main thing is to never stock more then one CBS in a tank unless it’s a very large tank. They will usually fight to the death if done so.

You could try spot feeding your CBS separate from the rest of the tank. If yours is going after shell changing hermits its likely just hungry.

All my fish swim right by my CBS and I think my Yellow Tang is confused because he is always brushing up against my CBS instead of the cleaner to be cleaned.

Funny thing happened to the CBS when it and the brittle starfish both went after the same frozen food. The brittle came out of its hole and grabbed the CBS with two of its tentacles and pushed it away! I was kind of shocked but now the CBS just avoids the starfish when it’s feeding time :D

so could i keep some small peppermint shrimp in my 55 gall. along with my coral banded? My coral banded is the only shrimp I currently have...

I have two peppermints and one huge cleaner with my 3” CBS in my 55 gal. If not feeding the CBS doesn’t really mess with anyone unless a hermit tries to change shells or is molting in front of him.

My other shrimp also usually hang out with the CBS until feeding time in which they scurry away.

Wow, I was under the impression that if I had one Coral banded shrimp I wouldn't be able to house any other kinds of shrimps what so ever...I dont want to just buy live food for him if ya get my drift, but having some extra help around the tank would be really great.

I am weary of adding any other shrimp since he has been the only shrimp since inception.

Can I add another type of shrimp at this stage or is it going to cause problems?

Quite a few of us have a mix of various shrimp along with our CBS without issues. I agree that some CBS can be overly aggressive at times (especially during feeding) but IME with a 55 gal tank that you and I have it really shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

I know you have lost shrimp due to your crazy fish and are a little leery of loosing more though. They don’t come cheap as most things in this hobby and $12+ is kind of pricy just for food. Still I think if you stock larger shrimp with your CBS then they should be able to fend for themselves.

cool! Ok now that I know I can have more shrimp...how many? LOL and are peppermint the best cleaners????

I’d stick close to the same stocking levels I have in my 55 gal going with shrimp around 1.5” in length.

1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimp
1 Banded Coral Shrimp

Peppermint shrimp will not clean fish but are excellent scavengers. My cleaner shrimp seems lazy to me and just waits for food to float by him most of the time :roll: But he does clean my tang periodically :D

Edit: I'd also drip acclimate them for around 2 hours before adding if possible.

thanks so much tecwzrd, I appreciate it.

dont want to sounds stupid, but cleaner shrimps are called cleaner shrimps or are there several types of cleaner shrimps.

CBS often get a bad rap. While they tend to take advantage of "defensless" inverts, most of the time they are simply cleaning up the tank of already dead/ill/injured occupants. Many a shrimp has been wrongfully accused of homicide when they are just cleaning up the remains of an already expired fish. Personally, I have one in my 72gal reef along with three peppermints, two skunk cleaners, one fire shrimp and one pistol shrimp. No problems what so ever.

Yeah I had a CBS that was my first shrimp got him about 2 years ago. He is currently in my mother tanks because he liked eating $20 Skunk Cleaners. I do like them but I dont like housing them. He would always try and grab my fish. He wouldnt even wait for the hermits to molt he would just grab them and rip them out of the shells. In my 55g I currently have 2 Skunks, 2 Fires, 3 Peps, and a Pistol with no problems.

faerykisses said:
dont want to sounds stupid, but cleaner shrimps are called cleaner shrimps or are there several types of cleaner shrimps.
All the Lysmata shrimp are in the “cleaner” shrimp family and these include the Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, & the Blood Red Fire Shrimp.

The skunk & Fire will clean fish of parasites but the peppermint will usually not although mine seems occasionally interested in it.

Thanks you guys! As always, you guys are the best!!

I'm looking into adding some more here pretty soon.

i'm entertaining purchasing some shrimp for my tank this weekend, hopefully the lfs has a coral banded shrimp in stock and a cleaner shrimp or 2

Nice new avatar hackteck :D Not that I didn’t get a kick out of your old one :lol:

Arrrgggg, me thinks it’s time to walk the plank :p

The "fish lady" at my LFS, says she sees the fire/blood red shrimp actually will clean better then the others. She also said she has seen them clean sick fish before the other shrimp will. I just got a blood red, myself. It was funny, when I acclimated him, he played dead the whole time. I went to add him to my tanks and he was limp. I thought he was a goner, as soon as he hit the water....he was under a rock....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom