Coral feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1324

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if i need to to feed my coral? I just got some new lights for my 55g so i got a whisker LPS coral but i wasnt sure if they only need the light. And if i do feed them what should i buy? Here is a pic

Attachments

• image-4181900350.jpg
    image-4181900350.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 121
I believe the whisker is similar to a duncan coral. Not 100% sure, but they feed on photosynthesis but spot feeding of brine shrimp works too.

Yes it is also know as the duncan coral like the Tommy said. Corals don't need to be fed, but LPS will benefit and grow/multiply faster if you do. Mysis shrimp (finely chopped), brine shrimp, special formulated coral foods, etc. will all work, but again it isn't necessary and could contribute to water quality issues if done too often.

I feed mine frozen squid (just what i happen to have on hand) Been 1 1/2 mo and its grown from two heads to 6!!

Attachments

• image-2039023284.jpg
    image-2039023284.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 87
how often does everyone feed there coral , if they do??

Some people do it twice a week..I do it whenever it's convenient so a week to every other week.

Just remember when you feed corals it adds to the bioload just like it does feeding fish. Its very easy to over-do it, especially when listening to many bottled products recommendations.

If you see a jump in nitrates its a good idea to stop coral feeding until you get the trates back under control. Hope that helps prevent any problems.

Back
Top Bottom