coral recommendation....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 100 gallon with only 4 small fish. false perc, regal tang, damsel, and dotieback. I also have a bubble tip anenome and a pink tip condy. I want to add some corals but want the easy to moderate level ones. (Also I have 440 watts of light). what do you guys suggest as far as easier corals? And the tank is about 2 years old.
Thanks

You will need more lighting to do most corals, but for now you could do some mushrooms, poylp colonies, and maybe a type of leather if placed in the upper parts of the tank. :wink:

Yeah I dont care to get into the hard heavy lighting corals. I just want some shrooms for sure and had looked at the poylp colonies as well.

Is your 440 watts of light NO, CF, or VHO? i would think you would have enough to do as the rev recommended. Mushrooms, zoos, polyps and leathers are all great beginner corals. You may also be able to support some LPS corals, like trumpets, torch corals or hammers. One thing I would do is remove the top on your tank if you can. Glass tops can greatly reduce the amount of light that actally penetrates into the tank. However, it depends on the lighting system you have and if it is raised up oof the water line or not.

Lando
Its VHO...sorry. There are no glass tops. I removed them. Heres the weird thing. The canopy is very "thin" for a lack of better words. Literally the bulbs are about 4-5 inches off the waters surface...Needless to say I have fans in the sump everywhere!! Thats my setup and its only about 3-4 ft deep...dont know the exact measurements but I do know its 5 ft long.

I have 440 vho on my 125 and i have zoos, shroons, kenya trees, frogspawn, torch, hammer,finger leather, yellow leather, fox, galaxia, polyps, star polyps. I think thats it???? Thats plenty of light for a large varity of corals.
I have 2 super white 2 actinic and they are URI bulbs.

some easy first corals are:

silver branch pumping xenia
regular pumpimg xenia
white starburst polyps
colony polyps
cauliflower colt coral
kenya tree coral
toadstool mushroom leather
spaghetti finger leather
green starburst polyp
button polyp
yellow colony polyp
hairy mushroom coral
and bullseye mushroom coral

440 should be enough for all these but you should add iodine,calcium, buffer and strontium to keep them healthy.

hope ive helped

-Jarrod.

Placement is everything. I would get yourself a nice toadstool (They always impress the guests) and maybe some colroful zoos. You can also get a yellow fiji leather. All of which, as pretty much already stated, are pretty ez. Gotta keep your Ca up no matter what if you want any coral thrive/grow. Best of luck...send some photos once you decide!

-PC

Back
Top Bottom