Coral rx

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noturaveragereefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I dipped my coral I just bought ( toadstool) and look at what came out! I saw at least 3-4 bugs...one of which was a star fish I wasn't crazy about losing. But if it's killing parasites it's all good!

Nothing goes in my tank without the Rx dip..... I brought home a colony of bam-bam zoas last year from a frag swap, and when I dipped it, two nudibranches and about 20 little red bugs came flying off of that frag.

I don't keep zoas, and I don't dip LPS, but I use it for SPS (after I pull off all crabs and put the bad ones in the sump and the good ones In a temporary container until the coral is dipped and rinsed thoroughly). LPS generally doesn't see too much in the way of parasites.

I've been told to dip all corals before putting them in the tank...so idk...I've also been told not to dip LPS...seems like the jury is still out, but u haven't had any ill effects either.

Though X is right that LPS don't have much in terms of parasites, I dip a majority of my corals as I've discovered things living in the rock/frag plug that they come on on.

Yes this one came on a piece of rock that was hollow... Like an old dead feather duster casing. I'm sure they crawled out of there.

You'll find that most parasites that effect certain corals are on them 99% of the time. In other words, the odds of finding acropora eating flatworms on an acan are quite slim.
You just don't see too many parasites on LPS, so I don't bother. It's not that it will cause the coral issues if I dip it, it's that I like to add diversity from different sources to my system, and dipping a wellsophyllia in that pine oil smelling stuff is just going to kill everything on it.
Those little brittle starfish are beneficial and harmless, and I go out of my way to not kill them. That's all. No real science to my method.

Lol! I was thinking the exact same thing...it smells just like pine sol. I was a bit bummed about the star fish...but I have quit a few in my tank when I look at night...but I'm just worried about the isopods...or Copepods..I can't seem to see the difference and I heard that isopods (I think) are harmful for corals. And I know one or the other is already in the tank...they run so fast I can't seem to get a good glimpse

No. There are many types of isopods and I haven't heard of any that eat coral. The ones we see most of the time are the ones that attach themselves to a fish or shrimp host and live off of them. you won't see one of them on a coral. Look to your fish and shrimp in your QT for those.

No. There are many types of isopods and I haven't heard of any that eat coral. The ones we see most of the time are the ones that attach themselves to a fish or shrimp host and live off of them. you won't see one of them on a coral. Look to your fish and shrimp in your QT for those.

Thanks, makes since about the diversity.

Back
Top Bottom