Coralline Algae Receding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
My coralline algae has been growing just nicely, but it has now stopped and started to recede. I suspect the calcium level has dropped. It is reading 250ppm which I believe is way too low. I have ordered some Kent Turbo Calcium but won't reach me for another couple of days.

Is my assumption correct that the calcium is too low? And how long does it take for the coral algae to recover once the right level of calcium is topped up?

You might also want to check your magnesium levels. Magnesium is required for the photosynthesis as well as helping maintain calcium levels.

What is your alk reading? Ca and alk are closely linked and changing one will affect the other. Coralline growth is also dependent on carbonate alkalinity, try to keep it between 9-11dkh.

a Ca level of 250 is a bit low, but as Brad mentioned Ca and alk must be maintained together. when adjusting either you must test and likely adjust both to be sure they stay in sinc. There's another thread that's buzzin away with another member who's having Ca and alk issues. check out that thread for a variety of info on Ca and Alk.

Thanks I have just read the other thread. My Ca is 250 and KH is 11.

There's another thread that's buzzin away with another member who's having Ca and alk issues. check out that thread for a variety of info on Ca and Alk.

In other words, me! :)

My coralline has receded as well, but I suspect it is a direct result of the low Ca and Alk problems I am having. Get those levels up and I bet the coralline starts right back up again.

Right! And since my alk is high, hopefully all I need is just some Turbo Calcium.

Biggen, your thread was an excellent read by the way.

And since my alk is high, hopefully all I need is just some Turbo Calcium

This could simply be an imbalance, but that could also be a sign of a low mg, check it and see what the level is, prior to trying to bring up the CA.

Back
Top Bottom