Corallines and Black Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AkainePSP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I am having an issue with Black Slime Algae. I did just put some caulerpa in the tank. After doing some research i have found that water changes, new lights, less frozen food, changing of filter media and corallines will help get rid of this problem.

I have recently mae a bid on ebay for some corallines. Would it also be a good idea for me to purchase some purple up coralline accelerator?

Any other suggestions you may have for this problem would be appreciated.

Kelly

What kind of water are you doing your waterchanges with? Are you using RO/DI water? Make sure to check your source water for phosphates.

actually I'm using tap water. Where would I obtain the ro/di water?

I did the water change today.

I changed my filter media.

:?: Now I have a question about changing the media.

How often should this be done and does this cause my tank to cycle again? At some point and time I was told by someone that it did. So I had only been rinsing the media with saltwater and putting it back into the filter.

tell us a about your tank, size, LR. Ls, filters, sumps, skimmers how old.
ro/di most people buy the water filters and make there own. Check with LFS they sometimes sell it..
Test water and post mumbers.. Phosphate, nitrates.

44 Gallon Corner Tank- pic attached
40 lbs Live Rock
small bunch of caulerpa
3" Live sand and crushed coral
250 Skilter- supposed to work as a skimmer too

Tankmates: 1 Pearly Jawfish, 1 Green Mandarin, 3 blue hermits, 1 scarlet hermit, 2 turbo snails, 3 Nassarius Snail, 1 elephant slug, 1 camal back shrimp.

ro/di most people buy the water filters and make there own

Can you point me in the direction of what exactly I would be purchasing and how I would make my own?

Attachments

• dscf0001_renamed_13940.jpg
    dscf0001_renamed_13940.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 52
with 40 lbs of Lr there is nothing to worry about when changing the media. Keep an eye on the mangarin, if he does not eat prepaired foods they can starve to death in small new tanks. They require a lot of live foods like pods to live.

ro/di check ebay and search this site for info on them, there are several posts going on right now.
Building your own would not be that hard but the parts cost alot so buying one already built is the way to go.

You also might want to think about another skimmer, I have not heard anything good about the skilters.

Is that one Maxijet PH I see the only source of water movement? You might consider getting another PH. Low flow can add to the algae problem.

Back
Top Bottom