Getting coralline algae to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moog24

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I have a tank that is over a year old now. Are there any products you would suggest to get coralline algae to start growing? I don't have a local fish store or anyone else in my area that had saltwater tanks, so transfer isn't an option. Thanks for any help!

Hello, I have a tank that is over a year old now. Are there any products you would suggest to get coralline algae to start growing? I don't have a local fish store or anyone else in my area that had saltwater tanks, so transfer isn't an option. Thanks for any help!

This may help: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/md-2013-04-2013_04_01_archive
Personally, I've only had success growing it when I introduced some rock with it already on it. Not from scratch. :(

If you have access to natural seawater, using that for a few months to do huge water changes will introduce it to the tank, otherwise you will need to buy it on a rock. It has to be introduced and won't start growing in tanks that use artificial seawater.

Back
Top Bottom