Corals and Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, after I raise my SG back up, I would like to add a couple corals. I dont have strong lights at all, and I wanted a new fixture. Would LEDs work for a main lighting system? Online it claims they rival T5 HO. What are good LEDs I could get for cheap that would work for corals and maybe nems, or T5 HO fixtures for cheap? Ive seen them at like 700$ for a 72" fixture and I just cant get over that amount. What lighting do I need for a 150g? Standard size. Whats a good fixture for not very mush $?

Depending on your diy skills I am planing on making my own fixture using kits from rapidled.com. It seems to be the cheapest way in the long term, no bulbs to replace, less energy to run. The initial cost will be about the same as a retail 6 bulb fixture.

I am planing on using 1" square tube. For a heat sink. If you did end up doing this project I would do the same since they come in 8' sections. There are great wright ups on reef central and I believe madhatter did a video on YouTube

Any cheap MH systems? Can T5s be replaced be LEDs? It said I would need 6 fixtures each for 400$, and thats a little much. I would LIKE it to be ~500, but would probs go up to 700-800, but I want the corals to do well. What are your suggestions?????

Back
Top Bottom